NPSIA Anyone?

pdonaldson

Hello!

Just looking to start a thread in search of anyone who will be attending the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs in September 2012.

I'm in the MA program - focus in International Institutions and Global Governance - but we're all pretty much in the same boat so it'd be nice to talk/get to know a few people before the semester gets under way.

I live out in BC at the moment but will be moving in late August/beginning of Sept. Hopefully this message finds some of you out there!

I'm heading out to NPSIA in September as well... I'll be in the Global Political Economy cluster. Coming to Ottawa from Toronto/Waterloo and will likely be there in late August/beginning of September as well.

Pretty excited to get started - sounds like a great program with some very accomplished people! Not entirely sure how I got into the program myself.

I'm wondering what everyone's doing for housing (is anyone going to be applying for residence)?

Count me in--I'll be in the Intel/Nat'l Security cluster (assuming I finish up my Macro prereq. in time!) I'm moving to Ottawa from TO in July, and it sounds like we're going to have a fun mix of people and classes. Are you guys taking French, or another language, for your requirement? I'm hoping for Russian.

Hey boys and girls! I'm in NPSIA too! will be looking at moving sometime in August or beginning of September, depending on when I can find a place. What are you guys doing for housing? any tips? I'd be looking to share an apt with someone, preferably at the Glebe or Centretown, depending on how reliable the buses are! Any ideas? So much to do before moving! ahhh!!

Good thread btw! Can't wait to meet you all!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - I thought I'd get emails when people posted but apparently not! My bad. Great to see people posting on here and I'm very excited to meet you all when I get to Ottawa!

I just accepted a residence offer as I'll literally be moving on September 1st and won't have time to get myself set up with all new furniture, etc. in the 2 days I'll have prior to the program starting. It's just my reality, but I'm also psyched to be able to live right in the heart of everything. Also, I spoke with a friend of mine who lived in Ottawa for a year and he really showed me how easy it is to get around town and how there are lots of little areas around Carleton that are good spots for going out, etc. I've very excited.

As for a language - I'm bilingual, however, my french needs work. I've lived in Vancouver/Victoria all my life and as you can imagine, there's not a lot of french speakers out here. That said I want to brush up and would love to learn an additional language if I can.

Keep in touch via this posting and let me know when you'll be heading to Ottawa! Maybe we can meet up or something on the day before tours start and go for a beer. It's going to be a wild two year ride. I look forward to it.

Hi,

I will also be joining NPSIA-MA this fall. I have a feeling that I'll feel out of place in the city and program (IIGG) due to the professional and lively atmosphere but I think I can manage and even perhaps enjoy myself!

I haven't spoken French since high school and I'm trying my best to get it back at that level at least by doing translation exercises and practice. I also have to deal with housing and I just noticed how expensive Ottawa is.

By the way, regarding doing another language for the req: the program has to approve the language in terms of your "research interests". I am not sure how stringent the program is in this regard but that is how it is expressed on the website.

Edited by nirokule

Hey guys,

Read this thread and decided to provide some insight to the program. I'm actually from Calgary but I completed a Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management with a specialization in International Studies at Carleton, and just graduated last year. About five or six of my required courses were taught by NPSIA professors, and my Thesis supervisor was also a NPSIA faculty member, so I can affirm the high calibre of instruction at the school. The school itself just moved into the new River building on campus, which is a beautiful building right on the river!

Having lived in Ottawa for the last four years, I have to say I really love the city. In terms of housing, I cannot stress enough that you should find accomodation in Centretown, as you are within walking distance of all amenities you could want, can take one of two buses right to Carleton, and can walk to the Byward Market/Parliament in around 20 minutes. Also, I just spoke to my former landlord who has a number of one or two bedrooms opening up for September in that area, so if anyone is stressing about finding a place I'm happy to get you in contact with him.

At the moment, I've been admitted to NPSIA for an MA in International Trade as well as to Sciences Po in Paris for a Master in International Economic Policy, so I'm just in the process of making a tough decision :S. Anyways, if any of you want any information on the program, the profs, or the city, I'm more than willing to help out fellow NPSIA hopefuls!

Hi,

I will also be joining NPSIA-MA this fall. I have a feeling that I'll feel out of place in the city and program (IIGG) due to the professional and lively atmosphere but I think I can manage and even perhaps enjoy myself!

I haven't spoken French since high school and I'm trying my best to get it back at that level at least by doing translation exercises and practice. I also have to deal with housing and I just noticed how expensive Ottawa is.

By the way, regarding doing another language for the req: the program has to approve the language in terms of your "research interests". I am not sure how stringent the program is in this regard but that is how it is expressed on the website.

I think the "research appropriateness" of your language is only an issue if you are trying to choose one of the non-standard languages, e.g. Finnish, etc. If you just want French, German, Russian and the like, you're in the clear, assuming you pass the online second language test. (B.C. French Immersion, don't fail me now!)

An aside: any thoughts on your (collective your)preferred degree streams--coursework, research essay, thesis? It's great that this thread is finally seeing some action--let's keep it going!

Yeah! I'm very happy this is taking off as well.

I'm thinking about going the Research Essay route as I feel that I would probably benefit the most from taking a few extra classes and writing something shorter. I'm not really using this as a platform to do a PHD (or at least I'm not thinking that way at this moment) - so I feel a research essay may be the right way of going about this.

BC French immersion is hopefully going to take me through this too! Fingers crossed!

Hey everyone,

Glad to have found this thread. I will be starting at NPSIA in September as well (PhD program) and am keen to meet some new people. I am also from BC originally but living overseas at the moment. My girlfriend is doing her MA at the University of Ottawa so we are trying to find a place downtown as well. Thanks to jojik for the post about centretown being a good place to live - I pm'd you, but in case you don't get it, if you can send me some more info about your apartment it would be greatly appreciated.

We are going to be arriving in Ottawa on the 14th of August so we are a bit worried about finding accommodation. It seems like the leases only start on the 1st so we may have to secure a place before we get there. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Also does anyone know how the cost of living in Ottawa is compared to other cities like Vancouver or Toronto?

If you live downtown and go to Carleton is it a good idea to have a car or do most people use public transit? We would like to avoid getting a car but if the commute is bad we might need one.

Any other tips or advice anyone can share would be great, and for those who are new as well, we should set up a meet and greet for late August/early September!

Cheers,

Joe

Hi everyone! September is approaching soon! There is so much to do before school starts, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it! Anyway, I would second the motion of going out before school starts! Might help get rid of some of the pre-NPSIA anxiety! Also, I am having trouble finding housing too... I have been on kijiji every day religiously, and I can't seem to find an affordable place that doesn't look like a dump! Hopefully something will pan out this week! I'm looking to share with someone, as I wouldn't be able to pay rent/furnish a place by myself. It's tough out there though!

I wish everyone good luck with the relocation, and look forward to meeting you in September! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread. I found a nice place just west of centretown at bronson for a reasonable price - I think there is still room - PM for the address. All the places I looked at in centretown that were under $1000 were vomit inducing. Also anyone in the MIPIS program? Looking forward to meeting every one!

Don't forget to thoroughly check out the OC Transpo site when you're thinking about flats: Ottawa's system of bus expressways (and the O-train!) mean much faster bus commutes than in most cities. And our transit pass is a mandatory part of our fees. While not as much fun as living in Centretown, it might be cheaper/less grotty living a bit further out, but on an express route, for instance. (I plan on walking to an Otrain stop and taking it one stop to Carleton--when the snow isn't too deep, that is!)

Don't forget to thoroughly check out the OC Transpo site when you're thinking about flats: Ottawa's system of bus expressways (and the O-train!) mean much faster bus commutes than in most cities. And our transit pass is a mandatory part of our fees. While not as much fun as living in Centretown, it might be cheaper/less grotty living a bit further out, but on an express route, for instance. (I plan on walking to an Otrain stop and taking it one stop to Carleton--when the snow isn't too deep, that is!)

You are absolutely right! I was able to find an apartment a block away from Carleton, for way cheaper, and I'm still able to get downtown in 10 mins (by bus) or 45 (walking). Definitely worth checking other areas out!