Help! Looking for information about Masters/PhD Programs

kovalchuk71

So I am starting to look into masters/PhD programs as I graduate from undergrad soon, and I had a couple of questions.

1. First, is it necessary to go from Undergrad directly into a PhD program if I am looking at something like clinical psych?

2. If I cannot gain admission into a PhD program immediately upon undergrad, will getting my masters first and then reapplying to PhD programs hurt me at all? Also, am I just applying for a clinical psychology grad position, or am I applying for a masters in general psychology?

3. Will my undergrad GPA matter at all once I start a masters program? Will PhD programs just look at my masters GPA?

4. When looking at PhD vs Psy.D programs, I read that the Psy.D programs are unfunded. Is this true? I'd like to not go through school and be $150-200k in debt, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks!

Chris

Edited by kovalchuk71

That is a lot of questions. I'd like to start off by saying everyone has a different path to grad school and their career. That said...

1. No. I'm not an expert on clinical programs, but I imagine that since they are even more competitive than other psych programs, taking time off to get some clinical or research experience would probably help you.

2a. I keep seeing people bring up that people give preference in admissions to people without a Masters, but I have never heard of this being the case. Because programs are so competitive, few people seem to go directly from undergrad to PhD programs. I can't see how getting a masters would hurt you, but you could also just get some experience without the masters.

2b. I don't know of any specifically clinical masters programs, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I think it may depend on what you want to DO with your clinical degree (I know there are masters degrees specifically in forensic and counseling psych). Do a search and see what comes up.

3. Yes, it will matter. Your masters GPA may not matter AS MUCH, depending on the focus of the program (if the program is more research focused, they may care less about your graduate GPA).

4. I think that depends on the program. Look at the program website or contact the program administrator to ask about funding.