BS/MS or BS then MS???

Hi, I am an undergraduate student at a large state school. My school offers a major in statistics and I am very interested in this field, so I have decided to declare this as my major. My school also offers a dual degree program so I can get my Bachelor's and Master's in four years. I am just wondering if this is worth it? My school's statistics department isn't amazing, so is it worth it to get my Master's there or should I apply to a more prestigious program later? My only concern is cost. I also hope to get a PhD as well, and it would be my dream to earn that degree from a university abroad. Any advice? I'll have the chance to talk to my adviser over the summer if that helps at all. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the combined degree and then apply for PhD programs. The PhD will (or at least ought to) be funded, so you won't have to worry about the cost, whereas most MS degrees are unfunded. In short, if you know you want a PhD, then make that your immediate goal.

Also, take advantage of research opportunities at your school and elsewhere; perhaps even consider taking a "research year" before launching into a PhD program. Statistics is a pretty meritocratic field (unlike, say, economics where it's all about the names), so theoretically you could go to a top grad school from a lesser known department.

Edited by william.g.lane