Switching into Econ - Suggestions?

aajenkin

Hi,

I just graduated from Purdue University with dual degrees in Political Science and Molecular Biology, and I'm strongly considering applying to economics masters programs in January because I've loved what I've read about economic theory and I want to be able to analyze health problems in economic terms, likely work on health policy (sound like a solid reason?). Based on my interests and stats, can you give me any tips for making myself more interesting to masters programs? I am working on choosing programs and professors to contact, (although I'm not really sure whether contacting professors can help for a masters), and I have a few decent recommendation letters lined up (although none from economics professors yet, because I was not an econ major).

Majors: Political Science/Molecular Biology

Cummulative GPA: 3.63

Primary program GPA (political science): 3.84 (do schools consider this at all?)

GRE: n/a (hopeful V/Q/W 160/170/4.5 ish)

Experience: one internship, two years in biology research, transcript shows that I took 22 and 24 credit hour semesters this past year (to complete both majors), and president of an organization.

Long-term research Interest: Health economics (esp. pathology), hopefully PhD in Health policy/economics.

Masters Programs of interest: Oxford MPhil (accepts non-econ grads, and I've heard its a great lead-in to PhD in US), LSE, Yale, NYU, Georgetown, Duke, UCSB.

I'm looking for advice on improving any part of my resume, from math courses (and econ) that I should take asap, the best, honest angles on how to explain my interests and low GPA, and tips on getting in touch with professors who are studying what I am interested in.

Thank you!

Edited by aajenkin

Hi Fez, I took Calculus I and II and Graduate-level statistics for life science students, all A's. I tested out of algebra. I know that Physics I and II may not be strictly mathematical, but the courses required much applied math (A's). Also, as a requirement for the program, I took Political Analysis, which used some basic statistics (A+); and I used statistics in a few biology labs (which is nothing, but if the schools talk to me, I wouldn't be against mentioning that experience). I am aware that math is vital to entry in economics, but I am hoping that with 1 or 2 further math courses I might salvage my chances, even with the lack of an economics background.

Econ grad programs seem to be pretty happy to take people who didn't major in econ for undergrad, but what matters is the math, asTheFez aluded to. I'm not sure how it would vary for an MA program because I never looked into it, but the schools you listed are all highly competitive.

If the MA requirements are even remotely similar to the PhD math requirements, then your current math classes aren't going to cut it. You'll definitely need multi-variable calc and matrix algebra - that might be enough for an MA program if it's lighter on the quant side than the PhD program and your grades in those classes are good. However, you specifically say that your long-term interest is an econ PhD, and if you want to make sure you're a highly-competitive applicant for that, you will want to take differential equations and real analysis also. More statistics wouldn't hurt either.

So basically, more math. :)

Do you think that having taken no economics courses (whatsoever) will also lower my odds? Would taking 1 econ (maybe micro or macro) and 1-2 math (multi-variable calc and matrix algebra) courses be a better option than just taking math?

Also, any suggestions about how to fit all three in the next 7 months? I will be in a large city, but college courses are expensive, and although I've heard that online courses are not favored, do you think I could take 1 or 2 online from a well known university?

Edited by aajenkin

That's a good question, and I don't know the answer. I know undergrad math is more important than undergrad econ, but there could very well be a diminishing return to that. At the least it seems like you should have an intro macro and an intro micro course... otherwise how do you even know you want to study econ? You've never tried it!

If you can fit two semesters in - maybe a summer and fall? - then you could do intro micro + multi variable calc, followed by intro macro + matrix algebra. Actually any of those four courses could probably be taken concurrently, even the two maths. It would just be difficult, so make sure you're up to it before you try. Frankly it should even be doable to take all four at once, although I wouldn't recommend it if there's an alternative! Getting bad grades in math isn't bound to be much better than having no grades in math, so make sure you do a realistic assessment of your own abilities before you dive in head-first.

On the plus side, doing something intensive like that would be a tangible way to show a econ grad committee that you're serious about this, and know what you're getting into. Best way would be to fit in another year though, and take some econometrics and a few electives in with that. All depends on your situation of course.

Edit: Oh, and I've heard pretty routinely that online courses count for almost nothing when it comes to grad school entrance. That's just what my professors told me though, so it's possible others have had different experiences.

Edited by jeffster

Great, I think this gives me some good direction. Thanks Jeffster. I will be working and taking classes, probably two max., simultaneously. I know I that I could do it, it's just a matter of cost, so my first priority is going to have to be getting a good job. I'm hoping job experience in health policy/finance, even entry-level, will also show the college committees that I am serious and capable. I'll stay away from online courses, though, because I've heard the same thing from various sources.

Really appreciate your advice! One other thing I'm insecure about is my gpa. It's okay, not great. Obviously, I took biology which was listed as one of my schools hardest programs to earn A's in, and I wasn't really as interested in the subjects. I ended up feeling out of place many times, not because I couldn't do it, I was just not as interested in some of the required courses as my peers, who have since moved on to graduate bio-tech research programs at Harvard ect. So I don't think explaining the low grades will be difficult, but will graduate schools listen? I sort of discovered my interest in economics at the last minute after setting up a small discussion group with an econ professor and then doing some of my own reading, and I never had time to switch (this was all during the last year). So, will grad schools (especially th Oxford masters admissions where the cut-off is a 3.7) consider my dual degrees, and possibly weigh my liberal arts gpa more than my cumulative? Thank you!

Edited by aajenkin

I think the grades you get in these math classes, and your GRE quant score, will matter more than your grades in any of these other areas. A 3.63 cumulative is still pretty good, and if you do even better than that in the math areas my guess is you would be in good shape. Especially if you have a good plan that you can put in your statement of purpose that lays out the path you've taken, why you want to be in an econ MA, and where you want to go with it.

Whether that's good enough for an MA at Oxford or not, I have no idea. Maybe if you practice a sophisticated British accent? That might help. :)

haha. yes, maybe I'll tell them I need to pick up that accent while in their program so the world will automatically look up to me. that might convince them perhaps?

You're right, at this point, I can just take the needed courses, do well and write a good application before crossing my fingers. Thanks for the tips though!