Best Online Math Courses?

I am working/living abroad and need to take an accredited course in Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra (thank you Econ undergrad for not being enough to get into econ graduate school).

Does anyone have a view on good courses? Thus far, I've found the one hosted by the Stanford Summer program, but it costs over $5k, and one run by a place called Cal Campus, which is significantly cheaper.

Has anyone ever had experience with either of these programs or know of other programs that would work well for Economics Phd programs?

Haven't heard of either of these. MIT and Harvard jointly offer free online classes as part of their "edX" initiative, but those won't provide you with a certificate. I realize this isn't what you are looking for, but they may be good place to start if you want to learn the material.

If all you need is a piece of paper, I'd consider open enrollment summer periods at any big state university, like the University of Washington, UMich, whatever. Or try UBC or a similar Canadian school? These may be less expensive options, but there is no gaurantee since you'd be taking courses as a post-bacc by credit hours rather than a finite, fixed-cost program. Honestly, $5000 dollars sounds like a super deal given the price of higher education in the US (a full quarter with the sam ecourse load would likely cost $10-15k)--that assumes it is on campus, by the way, for an online course that is nuts!

Edited by Usmivka

UW has an online applied math program -- you could look into whether they let non-matriculated students take classes:

http://www.amathonli...lum/courses.asp

Thanks! Unfortunately, multivariable calc (MATH 126) is not offered online through UW, but they do have a Linear Algebra course that is!

Haven't heard of either of these. MIT and Harvard jointly offer free online classes as part of their "edX" initiative, but those won't provide you with a certificate. I realize this isn't what you are looking for, but they may be good place to start if you want to learn the material.

If all you need is a piece of paper, I'd consider open enrollment summer periods at any big state university, like the University of Washington, UMich, whatever. Or try UBC or a similar Canadian school? These may be less expensive options, but there is no gaurantee since you'd be taking courses as a post-bacc by credit hours rather than a finite, fixed-cost program. Honestly, $5000 dollars sounds like a super deal given the price of higher education in the US (a full quarter with the sam ecourse load would likely cost $10-15k)--that assumes it is on campus, by the way, for an online course that is nuts!

I should've been clearer, the online course for both calc and linear algebra is over 6k.

http://summer.stanford.edu/programs/page/program-fees-expenses-3