International Affairs School/Program Guidance Request

Hello everyone!

I earned my BA in International Studies a couple weeks ago and will be embarking for the Peace Corps soon. I know it might be a bit soon to worry about graduate school, but I would appreciate some guidance nonetheless, as I'm sure it's the next step I want to take after Peace Corps service.

I'm currently looking at two schools, but am very much open to suggestions with regard to other programs, if you have them!

1. The New School - MA in International Affairs (2-year)

2. Tel Aviv University - MA in Security and Diplomacy Studies (1-year)

My concerns regarding The New School is the fact that, since it's private and in NYC, both the tuition and cost of living will be very high. I calculated the estimated total cost for the degree (two years of tuition + living costs): about $100,000. It is probable that I would get a discount because of my Peace Corps service, though. I am very into the whole liberal outlook, small class sizes, etc. of the school.

The program at Tel Aviv University is only $16,500 (for tuition) in comparison and one year long. It's also important to say that the Israeli-Arab conflict is my "favorite" topic in international affairs, so Tel Aviv would presumably be a good city to study IR in. However, although I know that TAU is one of the world's best universities, I am unsure regarding the reputation of that specific program. I am additionally concerned that - since the Middle East is my regional interest - an Israeli degree would prevent me from pursuing an IR profession in the majority of Arab states (+ Iran, etc.).

Finally, it is worth noting that I have no desire to become an academic (at the moment) and thus do not want to pursue a PhD. I'm also not exactly sure regarding what career opportunities one of these degrees would open up, but I would assume government work or a think tank? Forgive me, I'm not really well educated regarding what my options are.

I guess my question is: what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Would someone be so kind as to take a guess at what are the best international affairs schools I could gain acceptance to with an undergraduate GPA of 3.2 (BA in International Studies), Peace Corps service, fluency in Portuguese, and 15 months of undergraduate study abroad experience in two countries?

Not to sound harsh, but honestly we're not any more qualified to make a guess at where you could get into than you are. In a lot of cases, it's a crapshoot. Although math-heavy schools probably wouldn't be for you (unless you had exceptionally high math/econ grades in undergrad). So I would bet against SAIS. But other than that, nobody really knows.

Not to sound harsh, but honestly we're not any more qualified to make a guess at where you could get into than you are. In a lot of cases, it's a crapshoot. Although math-heavy schools probably wouldn't be for you (unless you had exceptionally high math/econ grades in undergrad). So I would bet against SAIS. But other than that, nobody really knows.

I understand. That being the case, would you be able to recommend a source that details information about the dynamics of different IR programs (and their acceptance rates)?