Just got my GRE scores...

GingerBird

164 for Verbal

156 for Quantitative

and for the writing...a 4.

I probably will take it again. However, I would like to know how important the writing section is because question I was supposed to answer was stupid, really stupid.

The whole point of the writing section is for you to demonstrate that you can identify and counter logical fallacies, inconsistencies, confusion of correlation with causation, that sort of thing. If the question was truly stupid, then you pointed out exactly why in a logical and thoughtful manner, yes?

Also, I think a 4 is a fine score, but someone in your field may have more pertinent thoughts.

Edited by Usmivka

Your scores look OK -- if you want feedback, it might be a good idea to post your percentiles as well (for those of us who took it before the switch to the new scoring system).

Your scores look OK -- if you want feedback, it might be a good idea to post your percentiles as well (for those of us who took it before the switch to the new scoring system).

Sorry, the verbal is 94th percentile, quantitative is 74th and writing is 48th.

I got accepted to some very good schools with a 50th percentile in writing. Of course, there is also some dependence on the program that you are trying to get into. Writing might be more important in finance than it is in physics.

Is the quant score low for your programs? The verbal is obviously fine, and the writing doesn't seem to matter much to anyone - 4 should be ok, I think.

Your scores look good enough to me, but I am not sure what your field's expectations are. I don't know how useful AW scores actually are since many fields that care about writing will want to see a writing sample anyways. Not to mention that a writing sample is a better way to analyze your writing ability than a ~30 minute, 3-paragraph response!

If you were surprised at your essay topic, and you decide to take the test again, consider reading this page if you haven't already: http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing In the middle of the page, ETS provides links to 2 pages that list EVERY single essay question you could see. If you at least read through the list then you won't be surprised at the topic next time.

Is the quant score low for your programs? The verbal is obviously fine, and the writing doesn't seem to matter much to anyone - 4 should be ok, I think.

Well, for at least one program I am looking at (University of Maryland) It's stated that a competitive GRE usually is in the 75th percentile.

So -- it's slightly borderline. Provided the rest of your application is strong, I don't think it would be a problem.