Damn you, ETS!

Happy birthday, ktwho!

My advice (not great, but it is what it is): Review/practice as efficiently as you can with Princeton Review and Powerprep, retake the GRE, and don't skip any questions.

Quite honestly it may be a waste of time to study for reading comprehension, especially if you need ample time to focus on your SOP. I find many of the passages to be rather straightforward or at least tolerable while the questions are willfully obtuse or bizarre. That's where Hail Mary guesswork might help you next time.

Thanks for the bday wishes, Midnight! Come to think of it, I agree! I would read a passage that seemed pretty straightforward, then the question would blow my mind! I kept thinking, what? Oh, I need to read more into that passage than what I saw!

Sebastian, I didn't really skip too many; I had a few "marked" to review later but ran out of time. I def. need to work on my speed.

Don't skip questions! You no longer get deductions for wrong answers, you only get points for correct answers.

Really!? Since when!? That sounds like a reason to retake... I took it in April and skipped (aka didn't have time to get back to) at least 40 questions.

Really!? Since when!? That sounds like a reason to retake... I took it in April and skipped (aka didn't have time to get back to) at least 40 questions.

Since the revised test was put into place, whenever that was.

From the ETS website: The raw score is the number of questions answered correctly. The raw score is converted to a scaled score through a process known as equating. The equating process accounts for minor variations in difficulty among the different test editions as well as differences in difficulty among individuals' tests introduced by the section-level adaptation. Thus a given scaled score of a particular measure reflects the same level of performance regardless of which section was selected and when the test was taken.

It says nothing about deducting points for incorrect answers. My math score was WAYYY too high to have had anything deducted from all the ones I guessed on.

Happy birthday, ktwho!

My advice (not great, but it is what it is): Review/practice as efficiently as you can with Princeton Review and Powerprep, retake the GRE, and don't skip any questions.

Quite honestly it may be a waste of time to study for reading comprehension, especially if you need ample time to focus on your SOP. I find many of the passages to be rather straightforward or at least tolerable while the questions are willfully obtuse or bizarre. That's where Hail Mary guesswork might help you next time.

Such great advice! The Princeton Review really helped breakdown the reading comp questions, and it also stresses that there is no deduction for guessing. In fact, they suggest that at the 2:00 mark, you stop whatever you are working on and guess on all remaining questions. Sorry to sound like a sales rep, but the Princeton Review really did help me approach the test.

Oh yes, and Happy Birthday!

In my post-GRE fatigue (four hours of testing plus four hours of travel to and from test center), I swore you wrote the Game of Thrones tagline (in the game of admissions, you either win or you die), and my first thought was: SHIT JUST GOT REAL WITH PHD APPS. But then I re-read it and accurately comprehended your meaning, and your post is a terrific analogy.

I need a nap.

So honored. Also, it's suddenly really cold here in Berlin. Winter is coming.

Just to be clear, these folks are talking about the revised general test (computer) NOT the subject test (paper).

Edited by waparys

Just to be clear, these folks are talking about the revised general test (computer) NOT the subject test (paper).

Thanks - I finally caught up on that when sebastiansteddy said the revised test. I did not skip 40 questions on the regular GRE. :)

I took the computer GENERAL test. I'll re-read again, but now I'm confused.

So, I'm looking at the conversion charts and realizing that I did, in fact, score higher on Quant. That's insane. I've got to figure out what I really did wrong on Verbal.

Oh, and I have the Princeton Review book but not PowerPrep. I'll look into that; thanks!

I'm banking on my Thanksgiving time off from work to study but will at least do an hour every day until I take it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my combined writing score is a 5. That's something. I'm still retaking it to increase my verbal, of course, and have learned that as long as I take it in December, the schools I'm applying to don't have to have the scores from ETS before their deadlines. So, I can cram for a couple more weeks.

Well, my combined writing score is a 5. That's something. I'm still retaking it to increase my verbal, of course, and have learned that as long as I take it in December, the schools I'm applying to don't have to have the scores from ETS before their deadlines. So, I can cram for a couple more weeks.

Good luck, ktwho! I, for one, did better on my second try. I actually wasn't as stressed as my first attempt; I figured I had already scored so low, what did I have to lose? That attitude really helped me focus on answering questions rather than predicting my score during the test.

JUST FINISHED! NEVER AGAIN! well.... not for a little while at least.... :ph34r:

I thought I did awful after my first section of Verbal but I think maybe that was the experimental set because there was one absolutely wacko question that was a really tricky logic question, which I don't think was fair. It was barely a comprehension question, more of a brain teaser...

GRE Lit sucked. Whoever said it wasn't like the practice tests was absolutely right. Urgh. Good luck to the East Coasters.

Such a bad experience, omg. But I think it was easier than the practice ones in certain areas but similar enough so that I believe even more strongly now that it is possible to study for (I hit a few--50?--questions where I was really pleased I'd taken the time to read some sparknotes and stuff). Anyway, glad it's over and I hope everyone did really well!

October subject scores are up.

Part of me just died.

I reiterate: Damn you, ETS. Damn your horrible black empty soul.

(I was at least above 50%, but not nearly good enough. Augh.)

Edited by bfat

Good lord... glad I don't have to take the subject test yet :/ hope you all did well enough ...

So does it take 10-15 days for scores to post online for the General Test? Being as neurotic as I am, I've been constantly checking my ETS account and my scores still aren't up (I took it on Friday night).

Good lord... glad I don't have to take the subject test yet :/ hope you all did well enough ...

So does it take 10-15 days for scores to post online for the General Test? Being as neurotic as I am, I've been constantly checking my ETS account and my scores still aren't up (I took it on Friday night).

Yeah, I think it takes about two weeks or so for scores to post for the General Test. If you took the computer-based exam, you should have received your scores at the end though. I wrote down my scores upon finishing the exam and searched online for my tentative percentages.

Edited by Two Espressos

Yeah, I remember seeing at the end that I got 169 V and 140 something for Q but then again my brain was so scrambled, I could've remembered anything... After I got out, I wandered around in a daze and got lost 4 times in a subway station I know like the back of my hand. Talk about being drained!

So now my mind is playing tricks with me and convincing me I got 161 instead. I wanted to check by phone but they charge $12 per call! I guess this thread title is quite apt in describing how I feel right now... Damn you, ETS!

Yeah, I remember seeing at the end that I got 169 V and 140 something for Q but then again my brain was so scrambled, I could've remembered anything... After I got out, I wandered around in a daze and got lost 4 times in a subway station I know like the back of my hand. Talk about being drained!

So now my mind is playing tricks with me and convincing me I got 161 instead. I wanted to check by phone but they charge $12 per call! I guess this thread title is quite apt in describing how I feel right now... Damn you, ETS!

Hopefully you remembered correctly and got 169 on the verbal! If so, that's an awesome score; I'm positive it'll place you in the top 1%.

Hopefully you remembered correctly and got 169 on the verbal! If so, that's an awesome score; I'm positive it'll place you in the top 1%.

when I took it a year ago, I think even 164 or 165 was 99% percentile. I, uhh, don't even remember how I figured that out, but there it is. I also know that you don't need to have answered every question correctly to get a perfect score (170). I like to pretend I got every question right anyway so that I at least had that when everyone rejected me. look, assholes, I may not be good enough for you, but if you put a piece of nondescript bullshit writing in front of me I can absolutely answer any vague question you'd have about it with unerring precision!

then again, all my other percentile ranks (including subject) have gone down in the intervening year, so the cut off for 99% has probably gone up. but yes, 169 is still certainly in there.