Cambridge M.Phil

A couple of days ago someone posted on the main search site an acceptance to Cambridge's M.Phil program in English. I also applied but haven't heard anything yet, and a couple of people who did the program a few years ago said acceptances usually come out in March-April. Anyone know what's up with this?

Hey, that was me - I just checked the "CamSis Self-Service" website that they emailed to us after our applications were received, and options that weren't select-able before, such as "Accept/Reject Offer," were suddenly available. They haven't emailed or mailed me anything yet. Also, I applied for the Gates-Camridge Scholarship, so I don't know if that means they looked at my application earlier than some of the others or what. (I didn't get the scholarship, in case you're wondering.) Hope that helps!

• 4 weeks later...

So I just got my acceptance to Cambridge's M.Phil today. I'm thinking of using this degree as a stepping stone to a U.S. PhD program in the future. Any thoughts about this plan? I also have a few U.S. PhD acceptances--but not from top 10 schools. Instead of pursuing a PhD program with heavy teaching loads and little job prospects upon graduation, I feel that doing the UK masters options would enhance my graduate school options in the long run.

I also applied to Oxford's M.St program as well. In the event I get into both masters programs, does any one have thoughts on which department or program is stronger or better geared toward eventual PhD research? I'm doing Renaissance, by the way.

So I just got my acceptance to Cambridge's M.Phil today. I'm thinking of using this degree as a stepping stone to a U.S. PhD program in the future. Any thoughts about this plan? I also have a few U.S. PhD acceptances--but not from top 10 schools. Instead of pursuing a PhD program with heavy teaching loads and little job prospects upon graduation, I feel that doing the UK masters options would enhance my graduate school options in the long run.

I also applied to Oxford's M.St program as well. In the event I get into both masters programs, does any one have thoughts on which department or program is stronger or better geared toward eventual PhD research? I'm doing Renaissance, by the way.

I think you are right that a UK MA (from either Oxford or Cambridge) will look excellent on your resume, both for PhD programs and for an eventual job search, if you are specializing in an UK area of literature (which I think the Renaissance could count as). You will potentially have access to original works of art and other research tools that you wouldn't have in the US, and both Cambridge and Oxford have name recognition. I don't know which department is a better choice, though.

Congrats on the acceptance! This was actually my plan - I did my BA at a state school with a mediocre reputation, so applied to do a MPhil at Cambridge before applying to top tier PhDs back in the states. Was accepted, spent a demanding year at Cambridge, came back, applied and still didn't get in to any of the top tier PhDs. I got a high 2.1 at Cambridge, had a 4.0 undergrad, publications, teaching experience, language, pretty strong recs (at least the two that I've seen). So I don't know if it's because of that elusive 'fit' (I do lit theory and translation studies) or because of the economy or because simply speaking I'm not good enough. But long story short, I don't think having the MPhil from Cambridge improved my application significantly.

wheel_of_fire,

It's possible the Cambridge MPhil may help...of course, as you know, there's a variety of factors that contribute to one's odds of being admitted or not. I would say how you perform on the MPhil is quite important as well...getting a distinction definitely looks good on your CV. But again, who you've worked with and the kind of letters they write for you certainly matter. Basically, having 'Cambridge' or 'Oxford' on your CV won't send you straight to the Ivies. There are other really good reasons for spending a year at Cambridge or Oxford though (on the other hand, I wouldn't recommend doing the PhD here if you want to be a strong job applicant, you just can't get the kind of experience teaching you could in a U.S. program). It's an amazing international environment, and your options for a varied social life are dramatically better than in a U.S. program. If you can get decent funding, the travel opportunities are great, and yeah, if you're doing British lit of some sort, the resources are quite good (both Cambridge and Oxford have copyright libraries, plus the British Library in London is easily accessible from both). If you don't mind taking a year before starting a PhD program, I would definitely recommend spending a year at either university on a purely personal level, it's well worth it.

Congratulations, and good luck making a decision! If you decide to go to Cambridge and have more questions, feel free to PM me. I'm doing an undergraduate degree here (should be fairly obvious at which college from my userid...), but am somewhat acquainted with the graduate scene. I absolutely love Cambridge, and would be very happy to talk about it!

• 4 weeks later...