Computational biology/bioinformatics PhD programs?

sje

I am an undergraduate biological anthropology major right now in my senior year. I have undertaken a research position in the lab of a computational biologist who was one of my anthropological genomics instructors and have really taken a keen interest in the field of bioinformatics. My scientific coursework is mostly biological anthro courses, but I do have >15 credits worth of mathematics and some comp. sci. My current GPA is a 3.9 and my research is going well, such that I expect to be working in lab for the remainder of my stay as an undergrad. My main question is this: do you think someone like myself, coming from a background in biological anthropology, has a chance at getting into PhD programs in computational biology/bioinformatics? If so, would I be competitive for top programs or just some of the less-regarded ones? Thanks in advance!

If you are going for an MPH, maybe you could concentrate on a quantitative topic for your thesis and get more computational/bioinformatics skills that way. Or through electives, if your program allows you some. You could ask some of the programs you're interested in for advice -- usually the DGS will respond to emails from prospective students in a helpful manner.

I just met an Public health professor at a major university whose phd is in anthropology. I think you can do anything as long as you keep up your research and gpa