Low GPA for grad school admissions because of one bad semester due to medical reasons.

Hi,

I'm an undergrad student at the University of Melbourne. I'm nearly done with my 2nd year of a 3 year undergrad degree in architecture. Due to having severe fungal polyp sinusitis for over the last 6-7 years, for which I usually go through surgery every 2 years. Semester 2, 2011, my condition become much worse and I found out that the polyp growth was malignant. I suffered from lack of sleep and short concentration levels as it was and then had to be operated on in the middle of the semester. I missed my exams and failed all my subjects for that semester (only 2 as I had withdrawn from the other 2 as I was already feeling the side-affects of my condition). The univeristy would not replace my Failed grades with late withdrawals as my condition was an ongoing one. I was stupid to not defer for a semester but my sinusitis had troubles me through high-school too but I use to carry on as it had never gotten this bad. However, I received a refund in tuition. My real concern came when I looked at my transcript which has two fail degrades which destroyed my gpa of 3.4. I am back at college this year, with a reduced course-load of 3 subjects as I am slowly getting back upto speed. My gpa for this past semester has been a 74%. However, I have hopes of apply to a decent grad school in the US or the UK for my masters in architecture and I am afraid that my grad school application has really suffered with a bad semester of college due to my medical reasons. How much will grad school read into my gpa for that semester considering the medical difficulties I experienced.

Any help would be much appreciated.

That's a shame your school wouldn't work with you on this, especially as you've explained the issue to us. Maybe it's worth trying with them again?

Anyway, assuming you've exhausted all opportunities in that area, the main thing now is going to be explaining it in your statement. I imagine you can mention your illness and how it came during the semester at school, and how you dealt with it and what good came from it (i.e. it made you tougher, it refocused you, etc etc). Schools generally seem to be receptive to such things.

Hope everything is alright now!

Edited by jeffster

Like jeffster said, this is something to address in your application essays. Some schools actually ask you for two essays -- a statement of purpose (usually used to discuss why you are interested in their program, what you want out of it, and why you would be a good fit) and a personal history statement.

I would say to avoid this topic in the statement of purpose, if possible (i.e. if you have two essays, write about this in the personal history statement). If you only have one essay but you are allowed a box to write about any special considerations, then I would recommend briefly mentioning it in your statement of purpose and then giving the details in the extra box.

I think this is the way to go because I really think space/words in the statement of purpose are at a premium and it should be focused on the future -- i.e. why you would be a good match, what your previous experiences can bring to their program. I didn't mention my grades at all in the SOP (it's on the transcript). If you do mention it briefly, do as jeffster says and focus on what good came out of it. You should leave the emotional appeal to the personal history statement or the special considerations attachment/box/whatever-the-school-has-set-up. Just my opinion though, I don't really have any facts to back that up.

I think 1 bad semester out of 6 won't be so bad, especially if you have a strong final year (but they will likely only see the first half of your 3rd year, unfortunately). Schools are supposed to be understanding of medical conditions, and they should take that into account when considering your transcript. They should also not base their admission decision on your medical condition (i.e. they shouldn't think "well this student might get sick again and not complete his/her degree with us") but my cynical side thinks this will play a role for some faculty members. Depending on how you feel about it, it might not be a good idea to discuss this issue outside of your application package (i.e. when contacting profs before applying or during visit days/interviews etc. unless you are directly asked about it or your GPA). I'm not saying you have to hide it, just that you should not feel like you must disclose your personal health information to anyone, especially if you think the information will put you at a disadvantage.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your replies. This is helping a great deal. I'm planning on doing summer school to receive extra credits to make my transcripts look. I really feel like my final year is going to make it or break it for me. As far as my medical concerns go, I'm in good health as it is and have been told that my condition should not be a problem for the near future at least. I might need to be operated on in about 3 years but no sooner than that and as long s malignancy is not present then I can choose when to have surgery (hence in the summer).

My undergrad is a from the university of melbourne which has a 3+2 model same as in the UK and NZ while the US has a 5-year bachelors degree for architecture. As it is, I plan on working for a year ow two years at least to build up a decent portfolio and during that time take professional training courses in software programs such as CAD, Revit and 3DS Max to further enhance the skills i currently possess. For the US, I have heard GRE scores do matter to some extent and with a decent final year, good recommendation letters, 1-2 years of work experience at a firm and professional courses in software programs along with good GRE scores should make up for it.

Would you happen to know what type of schools are within my reach for grad school in the US and the UK?

Thanks again.