PhD supervisor going on sabbatical -- before I even start

paso

I've been accepted into a PhD program in another country beginning fall of this year. My proposed supervisor has just informed me that he will be on sabbatical next year and will be looking for jobs at other universities. I still believe that this university is the best one for me to conduct my research at but am worried that my acceptance will be rescinded.

My partner and I have already given notice at our jobs and will be in deep financial trouble if we lose those jobs with no other income (ie. my loans and scholarships).

I worried that my proposed supervisor was a bit of a flake, so I do feel that I have dodged a bullet without him, but don't know what to do. I've written the research admissions department and the department head, who say that the school is looking for a replacement supervisor for me. What if they don't find one?

I haven't told my partner yet because he just gave his notice on Monday and I am panicking enough for two.

Paso, The department admitted you so now has an obligation to find faculty for you. If you don't get some news this week, I would pick up the phone, get the graduate chair in the department (the faculty member, not the adminstrator) on the phone and tell him/her your story to indicate - politely - that they are about to put you in a terrible position and must take responsibility for this. You must be active in this and you have a right to be active in this. You should start trolling their website and the university website to start identifying people you could work with so that if they say "Oh, we're still looking..." you can respond: "I am going to email Dr. Smith and ask if he can serve as my new advisor since I need this settled right away." Is it a big program? Their may be a few other people who can stand in for the prof that has flaked out on you. It is always a good idea to apply to a program where you have lots of supervisory options since this can happen in any department if faculty are bad at saying "no" when asked about supervision, or go on sabbatical and refuse to work with grad students (I work with grad students all the time, sabbatical or not), or if someone becomes gravely ill unexpectedly. I switched grad advisors during my PhD and I know quite a few people who had to change (out of duress like you) and landed on their feet just fine. The main thing - don't be passive. University culture often thrives on students who don't stand up for themselves... P.S. Hang in there, you and your spouse will probably be just fine. - Prof. Susan

While I don't want to presume to understand the relationship dynamic between you and your partner, I would suggest bringing him into the loop as soon as possible. First, the longer you wait, the harder it will be to eventually bring him up to speed, and on the off-chance that the situation gets any stickier in the interim, that won't help either; secondly, his financial situation is (apparently) connected to yours, and so I'm sure he'd like to know what's going on.

That being said, I'm going to parrot what Prof.Susan.Nance posted and say that the department doesn't really have the right to rescind an offer of admission on these sorts of grounds. You will have to be proactive moving forward in terms of finding a replacement supervisor, and make sure that no feet are dragged in the replacement process. However, all in all, I think you're overreacting.

Edited by thedig13

Thank you for the advice. I spoke with the faculty administrator today. She's spoken with two profs at the school who seem like the most likely fit, but neither feels they have the expertise to supervise my project. I'm not sure if joint supervision is on the table at this point, but if neither of these professors are willing to take on the project I'm not sure what options are left.

Now that I have a little information about where everything is at and have processed it all, I'm going to tell my partner tonight. It'll probably ruin his birthday, but maybe he'll surprise me.

Thank you again.

there is a professor who is moving to my university with a phd student. he is staying on as an adjunct with his old university until the student graduates. His grant funding pays her stipend at the new university.

What is your area of interest?

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of profs are halfways on the job market all the time. Maybe you'll be lucky and he won't actually go anywhere. In any case, I wouldn't jump ship to another advisor until you know for sure. You could also ask him whether there is a possibility of moving with him to the new place (if your partner is amenable).