can the writing sample be from a different subject

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm about to get my bachelor's in linguistics, and I will be applying to a grad program in theoretical linguistics (scientific study of phonology, syntax and semantics). Anyway, while getting my bachelor's, I also minored in philosophy. I've written many papers in the field of linguistics, but I think my best work is something I wrote for a philosophy class. Now, there are two problems: 1) it's philosophy and not linguistics, so it really shows none of my knowledge or capability in the field I'll be applying for, and 2) it's more of prose, so there aren't really many citations; there are a few. Anyway, I ask this because I'm not sure if by submitting a writing sample they want to see how well you can write and formulate an argument (which this paper shows those two things the best) or if they want to see you can write anything on the subject you're applying for. Also, I'll be applying for a master's program, not a PhD; I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Edited by JoeyBoy718

Hi Joey, I've looked at tons of grad applications and I can tell you that you need a writing sample for the discipline you are applying into. So, find the best work you did in your chosen field for grad school, and submit that. As long as your writing sample is in the top tier of work you've produced, you'll be fine. Remeber: the admissions committee won't know about your philosophy paper, so it won't make what you do submit look bad! P.S. Lots of students get into that situation - as did I. My very best work as an undergrad was in 19th c Middle Eastern history but I wanted to study a 20th c US topic so submitted my best work on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally, linguistics is a field that does encourage writing samples from other (related) fields, if they are the applicant's best work. However, JoeyBoy, in your case I'm not sure it makes sense to submit a philosophy paper. You majored in linguistics, so you must have written at least one or two papers in that field. You should choose one and do your best to improve it based on the comments you got on it and on whatever critique you can get from mentors now. It's even better to submit a phonology paper while proposing to study semantics (or vice versa) because there will be professors on the adcom who will be able to judge the quality of that paper. If you submit a philosophy paper, the adcom will wonder why you don't have linguistics work you think is good enough, and are forced to go outside the field for a writing sample. As mentioned by Prof. Susan, a philosophy paper is also likely not to be fully appreciated by the adcom, even if it is currently better than all your other papers, because they are not experts in that field. Bottom line, a paper closer to your field is better.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gnome Chomsky

Thanks. I forgot about this thread. Yes, I've definitely decided to submit a linguistics sample. Only reason I wasn't sure was because (at my school--not a top tier Ling program) you don't write formal research papers for most classes, actually any that I know of. What I mean by that is, I have a lot of 4-5 page papers, book reports, chapter summaries, even citation-less short prose, but nothing very formal like I have from my philosophy class. However, I'm in a research writing class this summer, so I will be writing my first formal linguistics paper.