School Lists 2013 (Where are you applying?)

you talking about disjunctions?

yup! i presented & caught some panels on the first day last year (well, last academic year anyway), missed the rest though because i had family in town.

yup! i presented & caught some panels on the first day last year (well, last academic year anyway), missed the rest though because i had family in town.

Awesome! I presented at disjunctions as well. Are either of you planning to present again? I'm also planning on applying to their PhD program.

No, I was not there last year. I am confused though - are they having it again? Is there a CFP?

it's an annual conference, so more likely than not, they will be having it again. no CFP posted yet, but i'd imagine something will be available this winter. last year, the deadline to submit was 24 feb.

I also presented at disjunctions on day 1 and loved it. Sadly, I didn't make it out to day 2.

there's always this year!

Awesome! I presented at disjunctions as well. Are either of you planning to present again? I'm also planning on applying to their PhD program.

i'm planning to submit again. also, CSU long beach's CFP for both its conference & its journal should be posted soon... </shameless plug>

looks like quite a few of us are applying to UCR. it's like an instant support system!

My area is contemporary ethnic american lit and trauma studies.

This is my first quarter at UCR, so I was right where you guys were last year. If you have any questions, just let me know! I'd be happy to answer as best as I can!

awesome, i just may hit you up for that. in fact, i think i'll PM you now. thanks!

Like Timshel, I'm in my first quarter at UCR too, so I'd be happy to answer questions as well. I will say, so far I'm incredibly impressed by the amount of care and effort they put into professionalization, and the program seems to be very "user friendly."

Edited by rdsull89

Like Timshel, I'm in my first quarter at UCR too, so I'd be happy to answer questions as well. I will say, so far I'm incredibly impressed by the amount of care and effort they put into professionalization, and the program seems to be very "user friendly."

I might send you a PM sometime in the near future as well - I have talked to Timshel about a few things. I'm glad you're both liking Riverside - I'd be so happy to end up there!

A friendly reminder, because I know their website is unclear. Penn State does not have a terminal MA program. Some people leave after the MA to go elsewhere, but that is true of any PhD program that grants an MA along the way to the PhD. Penn State makes you apply to the MA if you do not already have one, but you 1) are competing for the PhD program along with everyone else; 2) will be granted funding for the duration of the PhD (5-6 years) if you are accepted to the MA (which, again, is really the PhD).

Though Rachael2687 may know precisely what she is applying to, I just want to reiterate this because I feel like people often don't understand how the process at Penn State works since it's not the easiest website to navigate. Additionally, many folks apply to terminal MA programs in the hopes that they are easier to gain entry to and that they will be a good stepping stone on the way to the PhD. But Penn State's MA-to-PhD program is intensely competitive, just like any PhD program, and while no one will have their foot on any student's neck, most people are expected to stay for the length of their funding---that is, until they receive a doctorate.

On 10/20/2012 at 2:09 PM, Rachael2687 said:

MAs:

University of Washington

Wisconsin Milwaukee

Penn State

Colorado Boulder

A friendly reminder, because I know their website is unclear. Penn State does not have a terminal MA program. Some people leave after the MA to go elsewhere, but that is true of any PhD program that grants an MA along the way to the PhD. Penn State makes you apply to the MA if you do not already have one, but you 1) are competing for the PhD program along with everyone else; 2) will be granted funding for the duration of the PhD (5-6 years) if you are accepted to the MA (which, again, is really the PhD).

Penn State does accept applications from students already holding an MA, right?

Penn State does accept applications from students already holding an MA, right?

Yes, but as I recall they only take a couple every year, so it is much more competitive than applying without one (and it's a pretty shockingly competitive program to begin with; their numbers are crazy). It may behoove you to check with the DGS or their grad admin on their approach to evaluating applications and to double check that what I am reporting remains a current policy, because these things can change from year to year. Though their website is confusing, their faculty and staff are legendarily helpful.

Edited by Phil Sparrow

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2012 at 2:09 PM, skybythelight said:

My final list:

PhDs:

Minnesota

Michigan

Maryland

WUSTL

Vanderbilt

MAs:

University of Washington

Wisconsin Milwaukee

Penn State

Colorado Boulder

Do you know anything about Milwaukee's placement into PhD programs? There is no info on their website. Moreover, I e-mailed two people in graduate admissions and neither person got back to me, or rather, the DGS got back to me and forwarded me to the other people who never got back to me. This lack of information/communication has dissuaded me from applying.

So I kind of just realized that three of my schools aren't going to get my GRE subject scores before the deadline. Oops. At least none of them were ones I was truly upset about cutting and I had three good backup schools to add onto my list. So this is my final (I hope) list:

Really, really hoping for:

Delaware

Emory

WUSTL

UNC Chapel Hill

Oregon

Would be thrilled to go:

Kansas

Nebraska at Lincoln

Could make an honest go of it:

Georgia State

Kentucky

Nevada at Reno

Texas Tech

West Virginia

Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead.

So I kind of just realized that three of my schools aren't going to get my GRE subject scores before the deadline. Oops. At least none of them were ones I was truly upset about cutting and I had three good backup schools to add onto my list. So this is my final (I hope) list:

Some schools will allow you to submit a GRE score late if it is the only missing thing. Maybe e-mail the programs before you give up on them completely!

Do you know anything about Milwaukee's placement into PhD programs? There is no info on their website. Moreover, I e-mailed two people in graduate admissions and neither person got back to me, or rather, the DGS got back to me and forwarded me to the other people who never got back to me. This lack of information/communication has dissuaded me from applying.

I don't, unfortunately. I'm surprised that you've had such poor communication from them, though. I e-mailed the DGS fairly early in my "trying to figure out where to apply" process and got a fairly quick and kind response.

Okay, so I thought I'd write with my final list. It's been cut down significantly. Mostly a cost/time issue. I also decided to cut Johns Hopkins because of their relatively teeny program (therefore smaller chances of getting in). Plus they took someone last year with my exact interests, so I didn't consider my chances to be very high.

Anyway, here goes:

Penn

Delaware

Northwestern

Michigan

Maryland

Chicago

Harvard

I'm all in.

(Edit: By all in I mean I'm giving it all I've got, not that I'm actually accepted or somehow deluded into thinking that I will be...)

Edited by waparys

Okay, my for reals final list. Only took me 2 years to narrow it down. (Listed by app deadline, since that's how all my lists are organized at this point)

Duke

Pittsburgh

Cornell*

UVA

SUNY Buffalo

Harvard (for the LOLs, throwing in an app)

Carnegie Mellon

Penn State

* I would basically sell my soul to go here

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!!

I am a Spanish guy who would like to study a PhD in American Literature ANYWHERE in the States. Although I like African-American literature very much, I really love American Literature in general, and I would be happy studying in the United States for the next five years. Could you tell me the easiest Universities to get into a PhD program?? Thank you very much in advance and all the best for all of you.

Alfonso

• 2 weeks later...