Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got a letter from the German Fulbright from Germany, and they said to contact them. Anyone know who to contact?

I actually did find an email address in the upper right corner of the letter. It was americanprograms -at- fulbright.de.

nope, no South Asia (Nepal) news yet for me. a few days ago, maybe 5, someone posted that he/she called the South Asia program manager, and he said it would be another 2-3 weeks. so we probably have a good 2 weeks left before any of us South Asia applicants hear any news... unless thats just a standard line the program manager uses to get us off his back and the letters will arrive sooner. I suppose thats possible.

I received an ETA to Germany and was planning on sending off my medical clearance form tomorrow, but I just realized that they were really unclear with the pelvic exam part.

It says in the directions for the physician:

"The results of a physical exam performed in the past six months may be reported. Results of tests (excluding laboratory tests) performed in the past six months may be reported."

The pelvic counts as a physical exam, but what about the pap smear portion? They do send that off to a lab. So do we have to have a pap smear even if we had very one recently? I have no idea what tests they are referring to that aren't laboratory tests. Maybe the "lab tests" are the ones listed on the back?

IIE says not to contact them about the form, so hopefully someone will have an idea.

Congratulations to everyone!

I received an ETA to Germany and was planning on sending off my medical clearance form tomorrow, but I just realized that they were really unclear with the pelvic exam part.

It says in the directions for the physician:

"The results of a physical exam performed in the past six months may be reported. Results of tests (excluding laboratory tests) performed in the past six months may be reported."

The pelvic counts as a physical exam, but what about the pap smear portion? They do send that off to a lab. So do we have to have a pap smear even if we had very one recently? I have no idea what tests they are referring to that aren't laboratory tests. Maybe the "lab tests" are the ones listed on the back?

IIE says not to contact them about the form, so hopefully someone will have an idea.

Congratulations to everyone!

I have no idea... I had my last pelvic exam in September and when I took the form in to my doctor, she didn't say anything about repeating the test. I had to have some blood work done, but that was it. I feel like if the pelvic exam and pap smear needed to be repeated, she'd have said something. Also, at this point they're not about to take away the grant because your last pap smear was a little over six months ago. If they feel the medical stuff is incomplete when they look at it, I'm sure they'll just say something to you(/us?) and request that the error be remedied.

I have no idea... I had my last pelvic exam in September and when I took the form in to my doctor, she didn't say anything about repeating the test. I had to have some blood work done, but that was it. I feel like if the pelvic exam and pap smear needed to be repeated, she'd have said something. Also, at this point they're not about to take away the grant because your last pap smear was a little over six months ago. If they feel the medical stuff is incomplete when they look at it, I'm sure they'll just say something to you(/us?) and request that the error be remedied.

I know that they won't take my grant away, but it would be extremely annoying to send the form off to IIE, wait for them to send it off to the State Department (they only do that one day a week), and then wait three weeks for them to return my form, saying it's incomplete. The doctor I went to checked the normal box and then he just had to write on there that the pap smear was actually done in January. I'm guessing that the State Department doesn't mess around when it comes to their guidelines. I just wish I knew what they actually were! I've spent all day looking for more information but failed.

The sooner we get the medical clearance, the sooner we get our placements, right? And maybe the placements are undecided and whoever gets in their clearance forms first have a better chance of being in one of their top three choices? I do a lot of guessing and that guessing makes me really impatient.

Hopefully we'll both be okay! Thanks for your answer :)

I know that they won't take my grant away, but it would be extremely annoying to send the form off to IIE, wait for them to send it off to the State Department (they only do that one day a week), and then wait three weeks for them to return my form, saying it's incomplete. The doctor I went to checked the normal box and then he just had to write on there that the pap smear was actually done in January. I'm guessing that the State Department doesn't mess around when it comes to their guidelines. I just wish I knew what they actually were! I've spent all day looking for more information but failed.

The sooner we get the medical clearance, the sooner we get our placements, right? And maybe the placements are undecided and whoever gets in their clearance forms first have a better chance of being in one of their top three choices? I do a lot of guessing and that guessing makes me really impatient.

Hopefully we'll both be okay! Thanks for your answer :)

Hey guys, what other medical tests did they require? I don't actually have health insurance and all these lab tests sound expensive. Oh boy!

Hey guys, what other medical tests did they require? I don't actually have health insurance and all these lab tests sound expensive. Oh boy!

I'm in a similar situation. I haven't yet received news from the Fulbright, but I also got a fellowship for the summer which requires medical clearance, so I need two forms completed. I contacted the fellowships advisor at my university and they said the university will cover the medical expenses. Having fellowship winners is good for a university, so they don't want to lose you to something which is a pretty minimal expense to them. So contact your fellowship advisor; maybe they could help you out.

to those who have already heard and been accepted--

did the letter/packet include any information about the dates when your DC orientation would be held? i'm trying to figure out my summer plans, but it's kind of hard to do that without knowing if I have the Fulbright and, if I get it, when orientation weekend would be.

thanks!

PS: those medical forms sound way too intense.

hi friends - just learned that I'm an alternate for South Africa. Can't quite tell if this is cause for celebration or sobbing. very mixed up feeling. does anyone know what the likelihood of my receiving a grant might be at this point, or is it all different year to year, country to country? the prospect of more waiting is torture, at best...

I have insurance, but it doesn't cover preventive care and tests like these.

Hematology

- Hematocrit

- Hemoglobin

- WBC

- Granulocytes

- Lymphocytes

- Eosinophils

Screening Chemistry

- Blood Glucose

- Cholesterol

- Creatinine

- Uric Acid

- SGPT

- SGOT

- Alk Phos

- Billrubin

Tuberculin Test

And then a physical exam and pap smear.

Erind, thank you very much for posting that information!!

For people applying to South and Central Asia-

I just emailed Charles Restrepo and this was his reply: "You should receive notification of your status by the end of next week. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me." End of next week?!! I was really hoping that we would know by the end of this week. Last year, people found out between the 15th-20th. I really hope that we know by early next week at the latest! I'm telling you, this wait will be the death of me.

You're welcome!

Also, for anyone else wondering about using results from old pap smears, I called IIE and they told me that as long as they're no older than six months, they're good! This should make all the females really happy.

I didn't get the name of the woman who told me this, but I called the main number, they asked for what country I'm going to, transferred me to someone else, and this is who I talked to. Hopefully it's the same for everyone, no matter what country you're applying to, but I'd still double check.

I just emailed Charles Restrepo and this was his reply: "You should receive notification of your status by the end of next week. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me." End of next week?!! I was really hoping that we would know by the end of this week. Last year, people found out between the 15th-20th. I really hope that we know by early next week at the latest! I'm telling you, this wait will be the death of me.

-- The end of next week - as in a week and a half from today? SERIOUSLY! This is crazy......... :(

At least you finally got a different answer than the stock "In the next two weeks or so" response. A friend of mine got that same response again next week from Jonathan Akeley regarding China notification. I hope that Mr. Akeley has cause to change his estimation to something more specific soon-ish.

On a related note, my friend who got a Fulbright to China last year said that she thinks that the Fulbright program officers tend to be conservative in their given estimates of a time frame for responses, which is understandable. Apparently she heard "sometime in the next two weeks" only days before receiving her notification. So there may be hope that notification could come sooner despite the "two weeks" moniker. My fingers are crossed.

Good luck to all!

Edit: She was in NYC at the time, so the disparity could have been due to mailing time.