Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

I really don't think they're nice. I think that they get really mad when you call, and get annoyed. I feel like screaming and being like, "well you try to wait for 7 months and see how often you would call me." It would seriously suck to be an alternate, i'd rather be flat out rejected!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think they're nice. I think that they get really mad when you call, and get annoyed. I feel like screaming and being like, "well you try to wait for 7 months and see how often you would call me." It would seriously suck to be an alternate, i'd rather be flat out rejected!

Yea, I don't think I could handle waiting any longer than these "two weeks". I really hope that good news is in the mail for all of us. *fingers crossed*

Two weeks, becomes two months! I've been hearing 2 weeks since the 1st week of march! Im just so furious that this is taking so long, that I really dont care if i get it or not, I just want a piece of paper in my mailbox to put this to rest!

My manila envelope arrived on Saturday, sending me to South Africa. I'm not sure I quite believe it yet. But I'm very happy.

Aireater, FBGhana, and applesoranges, I'll look forward to meeting you at the DC orientation! Orcappuccino, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the alternate status is bumped up to a yes quickly for you.

By the way, this was my second time applying. (I was a finalist last year.) So sometimes it really does work on the second try.

Good luck and anxiety to relief to all!

Hey Hong Kong ETAs: Just called Jonathan and he said the letters specifically for HK ETAs will hopefully be sent out the end of this week, but possibly next week. Given that I won't make the April 15th grad school deadline, I'm trying to get an extension from my department adviser for April 29th. I really hope this doesn't screw up funding.

Curious to know, how many of us HK ETA finalists speak Canto or have studied in China before? I was born in the States, I'm of Chinese descent, and my Canto is probably limited to expressing my basic needs and wants. l'm wondering if it's a disadvantage to share too much of the same cultural background as the students-- I guess we will find out soon enough.

Good luck to all and please let me know if you hear anything! I live on the West Coast, so you East Coasters will hear first, I'm sure.

Hey Hong Kong ETAs: Just called Jonathan and he said the letters specifically for HK ETAs will hopefully be sent out the end of this week, but possibly next week. Given that I won't make the April 15th grad school deadline, I'm trying to get an extension from my department adviser for April 29th. I really hope this doesn't screw up funding.

Curious to know, how many of us HK ETA finalists speak Canto or have studied in China before? I was born in the States, I'm of Chinese descent, and my Canto is probably limited to expressing my basic needs and wants. l'm wondering if it's a disadvantage to share too much of the same cultural background as the students-- I guess we will find out soon enough.

Good luck to all and please let me know if you hear anything! I live on the West Coast, so you East Coasters will hear first, I'm sure.

Well I am Nigerian, but I studied International Business with an emphasis on China. My school didn't have cantonese, but I was there for a study abroad and picked some up.I studied at HKUST for a semester and got around fine with limited Chinese. Pimsleur has been great for my Cantonese. I know based on the profiles of the previous 2 years that there are many ETA's who were from the area, so they won't use that against you. Many wanted to be ETAs to rediscover their heritage. So unless you lived in HK for an extended period of time, it won't be a problem.

Thanks for the heads-up - the wait's been killing me! I've been on autopilot going through the motions for my back-up program (I've interviewed and everything) because my heart's set on HK, so I hope I'm not disappointed when I get my letter. I'm also on the West Coast, so the extra wait will make things that much worse, lol.

I'm an ABC, I've been to China/HK/Taiwan countless times, and I speak Cantonese, so I'm probably in the same boat as you. I don't think this should work against us 'cause cultural rediscovery and reconnection was one of my main motivations for wanting to participate in this program - and it's what I wrote about in my application essays. I'm thinking we would've been weeded out in the first round if they didn't want people like us? At least that's what I'm hoping.

I am still waiting on the Netherlands. An administrator on my campus is a former Fulbrighter- twice. She served on the US selection committee as well as Italy's. She has said that many more graduate students apply than new graduate. This means that the US sends more post graduate finalists than new graduate but the selecting country must select an equal number of post grad vs. new grad.

Has anyone else heard this?

I am still waiting on the Netherlands. An administrator on my campus is a former Fulbrighter- twice. She served on the US selection committee as well as Italy's. She has said that many more graduate students apply than new graduate. This means that the US sends more post graduate finalists than new graduate but the selecting country must select an equal number of post grad vs. new grad.

I could be mistaken, of course, but I think that that varies by country, to some degree at least. A friend of mine got a Fulbright for Jordan last year. I remember that he mentioned that some countries, such as Egypt, expressly encourage new graduates to apply, while other countries have a strong preferences for people already enrolled in post grad programs.

Today, I received a letter from IIE informing me that I am an alternate for Nepal. I had a job offer in India, but three days ago the organization rescinded the offer because I was taking too long to tell them whether or not I was accepting the job (because I was waiting to hear about the Fulbright). Now I have neither a research grant in Nepal nor a job in India. In fact, I now have no plans for next year. FML.

I am also (still, anxiously) waiting on the Netherlands. It's interesting that you mention this because I was wondering how this factored into their decision making process. I felt that as a new graduate I would be at a disadvantage because they may question my ability to conduct graduate level research. As a post grad, this question is already answered in some ways.

I've spent lots of time speculating and must at the end of the day resign myself to the fact that it is completely and utterly out of my hands. If I don't get the grant, I'll be disappointed that I can't blame it on the my new graduate disadvantage theory. I hope that what you say is true as it brings a bit of hope during this last leg...

Snowy Owl, please let us know as soon as you hear about your status. You have it on good authority that our letters are being sent this week, right?

I was really curious about that post grad issue as well. I'm graduating law school in a few weeks, and if this Netherlands Fulbright doesn't work out, I'm gonna have to scramble for employment. My impression is that each country would make its own choice as to types of applicants it wishes to attract.

I've also heard that prior time spent in the country can occasionally hurt chances. I spent three months in the Netherlands with the UN, its related to my proposal, but it may be a curse. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Today, I received a letter from IIE informing me that I am an alternate for Nepal. I had a job offer in India, but three days ago the organization rescinded the offer because I was taking too long to tell them whether or not I was accepting the job (because I was waiting to hear about the Fulbright). Now I have neither a research grant in Nepal nor a job in India. In fact, I now have no plans for next year. FML.

I'm very sorry to hear that...seems Nepal is out - has anyone heard from another south asian countrY?

I am also (still, anxiously) waiting on the Netherlands. It's interesting that you mention this because I was wondering how this factored into their decision making process. I felt that as a new graduate I would be at a disadvantage because they may question my ability to conduct graduate level research. As a post grad, this question is already answered in some ways.

I've spent lots of time speculating and must at the end of the day resign myself to the fact that it is completely and utterly out of my hands. If I don't get the grant, I'll be disappointed that I can't blame it on the my new graduate disadvantage theory. I hope that what you say is true as it brings a bit of hope during this last leg...

Snowy Owl, please let us know as soon as you hear about your status. You have it on good authority that our letters are being sent this week, right?

I am in New York so I will post as soon as I know. My proposal is in medical research for Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam. What discipline and where is everyone elses proposals for?

For the Netherlands, I proposed a research project regarding the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (what a mouthful...). My affiliation is Leiden University. I'm in NY as well, so I'm figuring the letter would take 1-2 days after it is mailed.

Hi,

Does anyone know approximately how much will the necessary medical tests cost?

Thank you.

I went to a clinic (knowing that it would cost way less than at the doctor's office), and the cost without insurance was $201 for the tests, $55 for the physical exam, and a pap smear would have been $50.

Thanks for the heads-up - the wait's been killing me! I've been on autopilot going through the motions for my back-up program (I've interviewed and everything) because my heart's set on HK, so I hope I'm not disappointed when I get my letter. I'm also on the West Coast, so the extra wait will make things that much worse, lol.

I'm an ABC, I've been to China/HK/Taiwan countless times, and I speak Cantonese, so I'm probably in the same boat as you. I don't think this should work against us 'cause cultural rediscovery and reconnection was one of my main motivations for wanting to participate in this program - and it's what I wrote about in my application essays. I'm thinking we would've been weeded out in the first round if they didn't want people like us? At least that's what I'm hoping.

Good to know that we're in the same boat :) You folks sound like an interesting bunch-- which makes it all the more exciting to spend a year in HK and get to know the other ETAs (over countless delicious meals, of course).

I studied abroad in Beijing back in college, but I hope to spend some more time in the Pearl River Delta. My dad always wanted me to visit his laojia, and I'd like to trek out into the boonies and find this little village one day(probably not so little anymore). One of my motivations for applying to the program is also for cultural reconnection but also learn more about urban development in Southern China (my academic field).

We probably have one or two more weeks of waiting-- deep breaths.

This is a good idea to pass the time, but to also learn about each other.

Why dont we post our country:

Affiliation:

Proposal:

I'll start

Affiliation: University of Tirana Department of Public Health, Marin Barletti University

Proposal: Understanding Marital Violence Differences in Urban and Rural Albania (qualitative analysis)

I may have missed some posts (I looked through some but not all), but is anyone else waiting to hear about a research grant to China. I spoke with Jonathan the Thursday before last, and he said that decisions should be out by this upcoming Thursday. (Of course, who knows...). Anyway, for people who have already heard about other countries, are decisions being sent out by mail? I had hoped they'd be emailed.

Most notifications appear to have been sent by mail. There are a few people (in addition to me) who are waiting to hear about a China research grant. I also heard from Jonathan that we would hear back this week or early next week. He didn't say what time he expected them to be mailed, but a Wednesday or Thursday mailing would be consistent with that. Good luck to ya.

I'm very sorry to hear that...seems Nepal is out - has anyone heard from another south asian countrY?

you applied to ETA, right? i applied for research. it's possible that only research applicants heard. it's also possible that the different South Asian countries are notifying at different times (I've heard the India Fulbright program is notoriously slow with everything).

...i shouldn't have given up the opportunity in India. ugh. i feel sick.