Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

Just out of curiosity, could anyone who has already received notification list the location the notification was received at and how many days the letter took to arrive after it was postmarked? Particularly anyone in the Southeast.

I'm from Texas. Mine was postmarked April 2 and I received it on the 6th.

It seems like all of the other German ETAs received a letter that was sent from Germany on April 1 and I'm still waiting. I guess it just varies with each piece of mail. Good luck!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called Charles Restrepo's office again after being blue balled by a manila envelope in my mailbox containing junk mail. I spoke with a really nice women who took the time to figure out what's going on with the notifications for my specific country (Sri Lanka). She said it will be mailed out tomorrow (eeeks!). For those of you still waiting, I would recommend calling the Fulbright office and asking them about your specific country.

can someone do me a favor tomorrow and called rachel holskin and ask about Albania. I have called her at least 10 times, and I am scared she knows myvoice. I would appreciate it if anyone could find out. I called yesterday and she said this week or next week, BUT THATS WHAT SHE ALWAYS SAYS. In return I will call a program officer for a non-European country.

I called Charles Restrepo's office again after being blue balled by a manila envelope in my mailbox containing junk mail. I spoke with a really nice women who took the time to figure out what's going on with the notifications for my specific country (Sri Lanka). She said it will be mailed out tomorrow (eeeks!). For those of you still waiting, I would recommend calling the Fulbright office and asking them about your specific country.

An earlier post said that they only mail on Wednesday..so this would make sense.

Just called Rachel Haskins, she told me that Italy notifications (at least for research) will probably be sent out tomorrow...

Sent out from New York??? Who else here applied for Italy?

I applied for a full grant to Lecce...

Affiliation: L'Agenzia per il Patrimonio Culturale

Sent out from New York??? Who else here applied for Italy?

I applied for a full grant to Lecce...

Affiliation: L'Agenzia per il Patrimonio Culturale

not sure...are all the letters sent out from New York? I assumed she meant from NY, since people mentioned earlier letters from there were sent out on Wednesdays (tomorrow).

People, people LISTEN UP!

Regarding Europe and most other countries, letters ARE ONLY mailed out on WEDNESDAYS. Ms. Holskin specifically stated that!

She also stated that if decisions were made on a Thursday, they will wait until wednesday to mail them out. Usually, letters arrive a your homes Saturday or Monday. It makes no sense to check thursdays since they probably do not mail them out before 12PM.

This advice is true and has been validated again and again, so there is no reason to argue or question it anymore. It has become a FULBRIGHT FACT!

Good luck to all, and I would appreciate it if someone would call regarding Albania for me!!!!!!!!!!

I think those that have applied to Europe will recieve some information the next week. I mean it looks good. I really think that what the program manager for Europe said was true that for Europe they mail out acceptances on Wednesdays

This is a good website to calculate the day best to check your email. http://postcalc.usps.gov/ just type in regular envelop and put your zip code and their zip code is 10017

I was bored one day and I thought this might be a good way to pass the time.

I wish everyone the best of luck, since I kno that this is a anxious time!

I'm reposing this link in case people want to look up when they should receive mail that is mailed out tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll see my manilla envelope this Friday (bearing good news).

Regarding Europe and most other countries, letters ARE ONLY mailed out on WEDNESDAYS. Ms. Holskin specifically stated that!

She also stated that if decisions were made on a Thursday, they will wait until wednesday to mail them out. Usually, letters arrive a your homes Saturday or Monday. It makes no sense to check thursdays since they probably do not mail them out before 12PM.

This advice is true and has been validated again and again, so there is no reason to argue or question it anymore. It has become a FULBRIGHT FACT!

Good luck to all, and I would appreciate it if someone would call regarding Albania for me!!!!!!!!!!

okay fine, I'll call. I have, surprisingly, talked to some nice people at the Fulbright office recently. What's the number and what information are you looking for exactly?

PLEASE CALL Rachel Holskin at 212-984-5326. Ask her when will decision letters for Albania be mailed out? Then ask her specifically if they will be mailed out this wednesday?

Thank you so much. I hate to keep calling her, she knows my voice and name by heart, I swear!

A friend of mine received a notification postmarked Thursday, so perhaps they occasionally do it on Thursday even if Wednesday is the default? I would hope so, since a lot of us are wrestling with extensions on important decisions/responses.

A friend of mine received a notification postmarked Thursday, so perhaps they occasionally do it on Thursday even if Wednesday is the default? I would hope so, since a lot of us are wrestling with extensions on important decisions/responses.

Mine was also sent on a Thursday from New York.

I'm so happy I found this forum after I received my notification. You all would have made me so anxious! Good luck to everyone that hasn't heard yet!

the Fulbright advisor at my university said that alternates have about a 1/3 chance of actually getting the grant.

nemolover how did your advisor establish that? that seems unusually high. that would roughly indicate a yield of 2/3, which of course seems kind of low.

nemolover how did your advisor establish that? that seems unusually high. that would roughly indicate a yield of 2/3, which of course seems kind of low.

apparently every year extra money opens up in late spring, so some alternates get a grant because of newly available grants, not because a grantee turned down the Fulbright (this might only apply to research grants, but I'm not sure). both my advisor and the notification letter said this. of course this year isn't like every other year, with the recession and all, so i'm guessing the chances are less than 1/3 this year.

also, i don't know what this means, but i was on us.fulbrightonline.org today and i noticed that they listed 11 grantees for Nepal last year--even though the competition stats say they only gave out 5. does anyone know where this discrepancy comes from? it's unlikely that they gave grants to 6 alternates (or that there would even be 6 alternates)...

(as a side note, i also noticed that every Nepal grantee from the past 3 years was humanities/social sciences. maybe being an engineering student trying to do a rural energy project worked against me...)

Just a point of info:

I was in China last year and met an ETA fulbrighter from Hong Kong. She told me that she had originally applied to South Korea, and been put on the alternate list. Then, in late Spring, she got a phone call saying there was an opening in the HK ETA program, and asking if she'd be willing to go there instead (since it was also an Asian country). She obviously said yes. SO... I'm not sure how common this is, or what the situation was specifically, but that might answer the Nepal question listed above, and/or give some alternates a little hope. Of course, I'm sure this probably wouldn't happen for Research Grant applicants (because of the country-specific nature of proposals) and for countries with a strict language requirement (besides the probably larger applicant pool this year), but who knows...

apparently every year extra money opens up in late spring, so some alternates get a grant because of newly available grants, not because a grantee turned down the Fulbright (this might only apply to research grants, but I'm not sure). both my advisor and the notification letter said this. of course this year isn't like every other year, with the recession and all, so i'm guessing the chances are less than 1/3 this year.

also, i don't know what this means, but i was on us.fulbrightonline.org today and i noticed that they listed 11 grantees for Nepal last year--even though the competition stats say they only gave out 5. does anyone know where this discrepancy comes from? it's unlikely that they gave grants to 6 alternates (or that there would even be 6 alternates)...

(as a side note, i also noticed that every Nepal grantee from the past 3 years was humanities/social sciences. maybe being an engineering student trying to do a rural energy project worked against me...)

Sorry to hear about the engineering project alternate, nemolover - if anything I'd think they'd prefer something other than another humanities project. I also proposed a non-humanities project (Math in Hungary) but have yet to get the verdict. Anyone know if certain countries are in general more friendly to engineering/physical science projects?

In response to a previous post on Fulbright Facts, wouldn't it be helpful to compile a little guide to future Fulbrighters from the info in this forum? This has been an amazing (if somewhat tiring and/or stressful) process, and the information generated from our dialogues would certainly be useful for "future generations." :)

The post I cited in previous post: