Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

teo823 kindly provided me with this link for additional funding (scholarships, grants, fellowships, etc):

http://www.studyabroadfunding.org/

i clicked on some of the links provided on that site, and it looks like some of the deadlines have not passed yet.

good luck!

Thank you.. that a relieve.

I met some of the people who are involved in scholarships section form y country,

they told me there are times the candidate were told about their admissions in August..only 1 week before they have to fly to US. :-s

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone here for providing a community to make the waiting easier. It really has been helpful, and the knowledge pooled here made me feel much better informed about the process than several of my good friend who previously applied. Good luck to all who are still waiting, and I think that it's a brilliant idea to try to gather the experiences collected on this board into a little guide for the Fulbright.

I'm looking forward to meeting those of you, heading to China or otherwise, who will be in DC during the June 25-27 orientation.

Thanks to everyone here for providing a community to make the waiting easier. It really has been helpful, and the knowledge pooled here made me feel much better informed about the process than several of my good friend who previously applied. Good luck to all who are still waiting, and I think that it's a brilliant idea to try to gather the experiences collected on this board into a little guide for the Fulbright.

I'm looking forward to meeting those of you, heading to China or otherwise, who will be in DC during the June 25-27 orientation.

How do you know which orientation you are going to? I didn't mention it my in acceptance packet - only had the medical forms, etc. Am I missing something or did you just get accepted awhile ago and have had more information sent out to you??

How do you know which orientation you are going to? I didn't mention it my in acceptance packet - only had the medical forms, etc. Am I missing something or did you just get accepted awhile ago and have had more information sent out to you??

Jonathan Akeley, the Program Officer in charge of China, mentioned the dates for the China orientation in one of his earlier emails.

I don't think Macau is going out with HK/China; last I heard, it was "two weeks"

For anyone who's interested, 2009-10 prgoram competition statistics are up. See how many you had to beat out :)

Question about medical clearance:

Was a normal doctor able to perform all the tests, or did you have to go to a travel clinic or something? I'm concerned that my local medical facilities won't be able to do some of the tests. Has anyone had trouble completing the form?

I don't think Macau is going out with HK/China; last I heard, it was "two weeks"

For anyone who's interested, 2009-10 prgoram competition statistics are up. See how many you had to beat out :)

Is it on the Fulbright site? For some reason, it just has the old statistics. Where is it?

last year albania had 1 applicant for 2 spots..the year that i apply there are 12...

I was informed that there are 5 finalist for 2 spots.

How does a multi country proposal work, because one of the applcant is a multi-country proposal. Lets say they apply to Albania and MAcedonia, do they grab both grants from the countries or do they get their own seperate grant, or like a special grant?

last year albania had 1 applicant for 2 spots..the year that i apply there are 12...

I was informed that there are 5 finalist for 2 spots.

How does a multi country proposal work, because one of the applcant is a multi-country proposal. Lets say they apply to Albania and MAcedonia, do they grab both grants from the countries or do they get their own seperate grant, or like a special grant?

I know that the grant has to go through the full process with both countries and be approved by both countries (I looked into this because I considered doing a multi-country grant -- yeah right I'm going to risk getting rejected by one and not the other though, hehe), but that they only get one grant. I'm not sure how it works if its awarded, though -- maybe they get partial grants from each country?

Hey, I'm yet another Hong Kong ETA finalist posting on this forum. The wait hasn't bothered me until this week and now I'm beyond anxious to find out! I'm getting ready to graduate in just two weeks and it would awesome to be able to make plans. I don't know how much longer I can put the future on hold. I sent an email to Jonathan Akeley a few days ago asking about the expected notification date. Still no reply. Has anyone else heard anything more recently? I know someone mentioned they were supposed to be sent out this week. Good luck to those still waiting!

Hey, I'm yet another Hong Kong ETA finalist posting on this forum. The wait hasn't bothered me until this week and now I'm beyond anxious to find out! I'm getting ready to graduate in just two weeks and it would awesome to be able to make plans. I don't know how much longer I can put the future on hold. I sent an email to Jonathan Akeley a few days ago asking about the expected notification date. Still no reply. Has anyone else heard anything more recently? I know someone mentioned they were supposed to be sent out this week. Good luck to those still waiting!

According to Jonathan, they were sent out yesterday, so make sure to watch the mail Thurs, Fri, Sat. Good luck!

Hey Italy applicant where do you live?

I live in NYC and I was thinking of calling them to go pick it up myseklf since I live only 7 miles away. I think that they mail them after 12PM. So it should be delayed by one day. I am expecting the mail to come Friday or Saturday. I hate this wait. I am so unlucky, because last year only 1 person applied to Albania, whereas this year 12 people applied. If we both get it that would be really nice, you could definately come visit in Albania, I'll host you. Maybe I could do the same?

Fulbright Friendships are starting to bud!!!!!!!

Good look paisan!

Hey Italy applicant where do you live?

I live in NYC and I was thinking of calling them to go pick it up myseklf since I live only 7 miles away. I think that they mail them after 12PM. So it should be delayed by one day. I am expecting the mail to come Friday or Saturday. I hate this wait. I am so unlucky, because last year only 1 person applied to Albania, whereas this year 12 people applied. If we both get it that would be really nice, you could definately come visit in Albania, I'll host you. Maybe I could do the same?

Fulbright Friendships are starting to bud!!!!!!!

Good look paisan!

I know, last year only 97 people applied to Italy, this year it was 150-something. Crazy.

I'm in Texas. Sigh. Probably won't get here until Saturday at the soonest. And the worst part is, I'm leaving the country tomorrow for a week, so I suppose I'm going to have to get the neighbor to check the mail for me (although what a horrible position to put someone in if you get bad news...maybe I should just wait it out???) Uggh, the agony...

Thanks for the invitation to Albania; I always love having people visit me in Italy. Part of the experience of travelling abroad is meeting new people and seeing new things. Am soooooooo hoping this works out...

Hey Everyone, I'm a Hong Kong ETA as well. Jonathan emailed me Tuesday and said the letters "will be going out today". Anyone bored and/or interested in pestering him or his secretary to see if that happened? Also, is it true that rejection letters come from New York and acceptance letters from HK?

i'm new to the forum, and i must say the responses are truly wonderful and informative. around 3 weeks ago found out i'm an alternate for a full grant to russia (still holding out hope!!).

thanks, holly, for posting about the updated stats for this year. i was surprised to see that it says 20 full grants were offered this year since when i had my phone interview with the head of the fulbright office in moscow, she prefaced our conversation by saying that unfortunately, due to lack of funding this year, they would only be offering around half the number of full grants they'd expected to offer (that is, around 10 instead of 20). anyone know anything about this, whether countries actually offered fewer grants than they expected this year?

anyone else looking to go to russia (or on his/her way), or been upgraded from alternate to principal status for russia?