Stanford Computer Science PhD-MS Program

aska

hey guys,

just wondered if anyone know what are the chances that someone who got rejected for the PhD program gets accepted for the MS program at Stanford.

how difficult is it to obtain research funding as a MS student?

I can't give a qualified answer, but if you didn't get a bad letter, you probably still have a chance. They give higher priority to students who applied directly to MS. Having said that, hope =). It's not over until it's over.

When Stanford sends out their rejections they will also send out three types of letters:

1) plain rejection

2) waitlist for MS/PhD program but accepted to MS-only program

3) rejected from MS/PhD but accepted to MS-only program

Don't get your hopes up too high if you get letter #2, like other waitlists, they keep A LOT more people on the waitlist then they will ever actually admit so that in the rare event that they get turned down by a large number of admits, they have students to accept. The chances of getting funding in the MS-only program are approximately zero. This is generally the case with MS programs that do not explicitly lead to a PhD. There are a few exceptions though, that is why you should apply widely!

Just as a clarification, Stanford CS does not have an MS/PhD program. The choices are MS or PhD. The reason they admit so few students to PhD is because they're admitting directly to the PhD track with funding, as opposed to the EE department that accepts a lot more students to MS/PhD (many w/o funding) and then kicks a lot of them out after the MS via the brutal Quals.

When Stanford sends out their rejections they will also send out three types of letters:

1) plain rejection

2) waitlist for MS/PhD program but accepted to MS-only program

3) rejected from MS/PhD but accepted to MS-only program

Don't get your hopes up too high if you get letter #2, like other waitlists, they keep A LOT more people on the waitlist then they will ever actually admit so that in the rare event that they get turned down by a large number of admits, they have students to accept. The chances of getting funding in the MS-only program are approximately zero. This is generally the case with MS programs that do not explicitly lead to a PhD. There are a few exceptions though, that is why you should apply widely!

But the one i got says I'm rejected for PhD but they MIGHT consider me for MS program since I indicated so on my application. That happens after people who applied directly to MS program are considered...

I agree with aska. The Stanford CS website says that they notify PhD applicants in late February and MS applicants in late March (of course they usually do both a little sooner). There's a box on the app that lets you ask for consideration to MS if you're rejected to PhD. If you checked it and they think you have a shot for MS, they presumably leave you in the pile for the next round of admissions (MS). These applicants won't have heard anything yet about MS.

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your views with everyone. I plan on applying to MSCS program at Stanford for Fall 2010. Since all of you on this thread seem to have experience in applying for this program, can you pl. shed some light on

1. Avg GRE scores (Q + V)

2. SOP's (should it include research focus or highlight work experience?)

3. Letter of Recommendations (relative strength)

4. Subject GRE tips (needed/not needed) stanford website says it is not needed for M.S although want to check with you all.

Any/all tips are highly appreciated.

Regards,

KP