Should you write a cover letter for a graduate research assistant position, even if you are submitting it to your advisor?

screamorange

Going for it are ya? I believe I'll let this one go by...

Please excuse my ignorance, but what constitutes a complete application? There is no indication of what the prof (we have the same adviser!) wants to see in the application.

Good Luck!

Going for it are ya? I believe I'll let this one go by...

Please excuse my ignorance, but what constitutes a complete application? There is no indication of what the prof (we have the same adviser!) wants to see in the application.

Good Luck!

Glen Filson?! Really? :D ........awesome! And yeah, I have decided to give it a shot. I think it is pretty interesting. And you are correct, I have no idea how a completed application should look like. The instructions were not very clear. I just decided to write him a letter and submit a resume. Lets see what happens :blink:. By the way, Glen will not be here first semester, so I have no idea what we are going to do.

It sounds like you haven't started with your advisor yet; even if you did know him I would suggest including a cover letter because you are applying for a job. You don't want to come off as unprofessional or relying on your personal relationship with him.