Visiting after applying but before their decision?

speeddemon608

So in 3 weeks, my SO of 2+ years will be visiting a school she was admitted to. She likes it enough that she's asked her parents and me to visit with her to see the area and the school while she talks to professors and what not. Conveniently, this school happens to be my top choice (different department, we applied to only a few schools near each other), and as far as I can tell, no decisions/interviews have been made.

Now, being that I've only had a one e-mail exchange with a prof I'd like to work with, should I ask the school if I can talk to profs/grad students and see my department of interest while I'm already there for another reason? The application deadline has been past for weeks now.

My main worries are that it comes off as presumptuous and/or annoying to whomever I talk to, either the grad coordinator or the professor I'd like to meet. Also it might become awkward if I try to explain why I'm in the area if for some reason I need to say. One other reason not to is that instead of paying to fly there myself and see the area, I may just be admitted and have a visit paid in a couple weeks anyway (no reason to believe this is the case).

On the flipside, one positive of the situation is I get to show my interest, and hopefully sell myself a bit better, during the very time they are considering applications. I also get to see the area and program and discuss my thoughts about them with my SO as the visit goes on, in case I do get admitted. Maybe even by asking the question, they might tell me more about my decision in a suggestion on whether I should visit or not.

So would visiting be a good or bad idea?

I don't have any logic to support this, but I personally wouldn't visit before getting an admit. This way atleast if I get a reject, I won't have to worry that I may have pissed them off by visiting. Plus, it sets a poor precedent for the department. I'm guessing they don't encourage people to storm the gates before an invite.

Hmm I do have that kind of innate feeling that it's a weird thing to do as well. I suppose it's a product of me being tired of waiting for a positive decision. I keep feeling like I should be doing something or anything to improve my chances of getting in, perhaps a little bit too much so.

How about emailing the department to find out whether they would encourage that sort of visit or not?

That's what I did yesterday.

I have a business trip to Chicago coming up in a week or so. When I booked the flight a month or so ago, I made sure there was enough extra time that I could squeeze in a visit to UIUC if they'd accepted me. If not...well, I have a sister in Chicago who has a comfy couch and there are lots of things to do in that city.

Of course I still haven't heard from UIUC. I emailed saying that I would like to visit anyway, just in case, and was that okay. Still no reply, but then it usually takes departments 2 days or so to respond to email.

That's what I did yesterday.

I have a business trip to Chicago coming up in a week or so. When I booked the flight a month or so ago, I made sure there was enough extra time that I could squeeze in a visit to UIUC if they'd accepted me. If not...well, I have a sister in Chicago who has a comfy couch and there are lots of things to do in that city.

Of course I still haven't heard from UIUC. I emailed saying that I would like to visit anyway, just in case, and was that okay. Still no reply, but then it usually takes departments 2 days or so to respond to email.

FYI: You probably know this but in case you don't UIUC (assuming you mean Urbana-Champaign) is a solid 2.5 hours from Chicago in good weather with no traffic.

FYI: You probably know this but in case you don't UIUC (assuming you mean Urbana-Champaign) is a solid 2.5 hours from Chicago in good weather with no traffic.

Yep. I know. I've been there before to visit family. I've allowed sufficient time to get down there and back and still have 6+ hours with the department (assuming they let me come)...

Last September I drove to three nearby campuses that I was considering and dropped in to check the place out, no calling or emailing first at all. I was welcomed at all of them, was guided around campus a bit, talked about the department, sat in on a couple classes, even went to a Friday BBQ at one. The only excuse I gave was "I happened to be driving through." Maybe it has to do with being in a major with very small departments, but I don't see why this would be a problem at all. I mean, we grant the people in these chairs of power the status and character of fickle gods, but in reality they're just people. Besides, if they seem angry or annoyed, don't tell them your real name :D

Last September I drove to three nearby campuses that I was considering and dropped in to check the place out, no calling or emailing first at all. I was welcomed at all of them, was guided around campus a bit, talked about the department, sat in on a couple classes, even went to a Friday BBQ at one. The only excuse I gave was "I happened to be driving through." Maybe it has to do with being in a major with very small departments, but I don't see why this would be a problem at all. I mean, we grant the people in these chairs of power the status and character of fickle gods, but in reality they're just people. Besides, if they seem angry or annoyed, don't tell them your real name :D

I wanted to do that when I was wandering around Toronto at the beginning of last August...but I didn't know my way around the U of T and I hadn't thought to look up where the linguistics and psychology departments were anyway! Heh.

Something I learned this week...

If you want to visit a school before you've been admitted, don't contact the department secretary. Contact the profs you would like to work with. I *still* haven't heard back from the department (3 days later). When I emailed the 3 profs I wanted to work with at UIUC, 2 of them got back to me within 15 minutes. :D One is not taking any new students for next year but the other is glad to talk with me. :)

I definitely think a visit is OK, but I would be sure to focus on talking to current grad students so it doesn't seem like you're trying to influence their decisions at this point. Just let them know you're coming and ask if you can talk to some current grads... I would think that the profs would know about it too and might volunteer to meet with you as well if they feel its appropriate.

If they ask why you're coming now (or maybe even if they don't), I would be open about your SO having been admitted and is excited about it so you'll be in the area. They want to know that you're committed to stay for a while.

In my email, I said that I would like to meet with them, but if they didn't have time to meet with me, I'd happily meet with some of their grad students instead. Two of the three I contacted were happy to meet with me personally. (The other wasn't taking new students in my field...)