Why should or shouldn't I go to library school?

I am a New York-based library professional. I've been working in special collections/preservation for 3 years now. I started thinking seriously about going to library school while working to advance my career.

However, even with scholarships and aid, I can't afford to go to even the cheapest library schools in NYC without getting into some debt, and honestly the only ones that would be a reasonable commute from my job are Pratt and Palmer at LIU/NYU, which are both expensive.

So- is it worth it to go, and get into debt, since I'm pretty much guaranteed to continue working the whole time, and the degree would improve my resume?

Or, since I already work in the field, should I just wait it out and see how long I can go without needing an MLS?

I'd like to advance in the field, but so many people have said that it just isn't worth it to go into debt for an MLS, so I'm pretty confused. Advice?

Will that higher degree earn you more money in the long term than it will cost you for the loans plus interest? If yes, then do it. If no, then don't. The Library Schools are always happy to take your money and may not help you beyond that, so it's up to you to decide if you are getting that extra degree just out of interest or if it is a calculated career move that will pay for itself in the next 10 years.

Also, do you want the responsibility of an administrative job in archives/library work that will come with the job you get with those fancier credentials?