GRE Scores

annbkim

Hello,

I just got done taking the GRE (literally an hour ago), and am unsure if my scores are high enough for me to feel okay regarding that part of the application process: I received 163V/168Q and am quite certain I got at least a 5 on both of the essays. I was hoping to get at least 166V since that's around 700 according to the old score system, but oh well.

Could anyone tell me whether I should retake the exam if I am applying to schools such as Harvard, Berkeley, Duke, UChicago, and Yale? I do not seem to be able to find stats from previous years with the exception of Duke.

Thanks!

I took the test under the old system and got a 740 verbal the first time and a 690 the second time. I retook the test because I only scored a 3.5 on the essay section the first time. I was advised that as long as you had a 1200 or above as an average in the old system and at least a 4 on the essays you would be fine. I would wait and get your essay score and then decide. Personally, your score sounds good to me and there is a lot of debate on how much these scores really count anyway. Your SOP and writing sample are much more important. Maybe get some advice from your undergrad professors or student advisor on this as well before you make the decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I just got my writing score and received a 5 on the essay section, which I am quite pleased with. So I think I will focus on the other parts of the application and perhaps if I am done with that early enough and decide I want to give it another try, then I'll worry about it then. That sounds like a reasonable plan, no? :)