Fulbright-Hays DDRA

Elli389

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you hear that from the D of E, or from someone at your school?

I was wildly guessing that it would be in August.

This is because I was told recipients have to jump through a lot of (time-consuming) hoops in order to get travel clearance, and the research period starts October 1st.

If you have any more information, I would be very happy to hear it...

She also suggested not making plans for travel in early October:

"We will make offers and awards in September. Though the institutional period starts October 1, if you are successful, I would not plan on traveling until mid-month due to the paperwork, processing and approvals that are needed to be obtained before travel."

• 5 weeks later...

OK, so the report is that there won't be news until September.

That hasn't stopped me from already starting to keep an eye out.

Aren't there any other applicants here???

I'd like to have someone to worry with.

I am starting to bite my nails as well, but I have not received any information. To my understanding there is a two-stage approval process where first your app is approved by a US committee and then forwarded to the country that you have selected to work in for their approval. I was once told that we would find out if our apps were approved by the US committee, but as I haven't heard anything, I am beginning to have my doubts. Does anyone know anything about this?

Hey archnerd, thanks for popping in, I was getting lonely.

As far as a I can tell, that two step process applies to Fulbright but not sure about Fulbright-Hays.

I can't really find any info about about FH, how the applications get processed, etc. online.

Have you found anything?

Hey y'all -- since I applied last year, I thought I'd chime in. Notifications for the F-Hays are are all sent out in an excel sheet on the same day to your grad director -- e.g. rejectees, grantees, and alternates will all find out at the same time. Your school's F-Hays director will then go through the spreadsheet and contact people with regards to their status (you won't actually hear anything from the people in D.C. -- they communicate almost exclusively with your school reps). There might in fact be a two-step process, but if so it happens behind closed doors.

In other words: you won't know anything until you know something, and that'll be on the same day that everyone else knows something, too.

-------------------------------

I am starting to bite my nails as well, but I have not received any information. To my understanding there is a two-stage approval process where first your app is approved by a US committee and then forwarded to the country that you have selected to work in for their approval. I was once told that we would find out if our apps were approved by the US committee, but as I haven't heard anything, I am beginning to have my doubts. Does anyone know anything about this?

I just came across this on the Michigan State website. Of course the timing refers to the normal FH cycle, not the peculiar timing for this year:

(It's from http://www.isp.msu.e...a_deadlines.htm)

November-December

Review of the Fulbright-Hays DDRA applications by multidisciplinary review committees convened in the United States by the Fulbright-Hays DDRA Program to screen applicants and recommend candidates.

January-March

Review of the Fulbright-Hays DDRA recommended candidates by Fulbright Binational Commissions or by the Public Affairs Section of U.S. Embassy abroad, together with prospective host institutions.

March-April

Results of the national international Fulbright-Hays DDRA screenings are forwarded to the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.

May-June

Review and official selection of award winners by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.

I know! I assume that rules out next week, which she probably would have known.

I even asked her if it would be the first half of September or the second half.

She said she had no idea but that she hoped it would be the first half because "the awards have to be made by September 27th."

Not sure what that means? People will be told the results and have to accept or decline by the 27th?

Sorry my research hasn't turned out to be very helpful.

I think that your right in thinking it means people have to accept/decline by 27 Sept., since the start date of the grant is technically 1 Oct.

Hopefully that means that they'll try to expedite the final announcement.... good luck to all.

Edited by moinonplus1

I told my rep about the prevailing uncertainty on this board, and she said that she would talk to Amy tomorrow to find out what is going on. So, hopefully either we'll have the actual decisions tomorrow, or at least a clearer idea as to when we'll get those. (But because of time zone difference, I may not be able to report here until tomorrow night US time.)