Fulbright-Hays DDRA

Elli389

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternate here too...sadly sighing along with you, moinonplus1.

Apparently all alternates will be notified of their status before Sept. 27, because funds need to be committed by the 27th.

Those of you waiting: call your campus rep.

Edited by Elli389

Oh, sorry, I realize that my last post was unclear.

Alternates will be notified if they will or will not receive a fellowship by Sept. 27th.

(so there's no hanging around for endless months wondering like there seems to be for the regular Fulbright).

Hi all, thank god this forum exists, I really hope someone (anyone) can shed light on my situation. It seems I got it (though my campus rep is really bad at email, bless her heart, so still waiting on confirmation.

I'm already in-country on a pre-Fulbright IIE CLEA (the language study period Fulbright sometimes funds), and the acceptance form they sent me for the Fulbright-Hays says I can't accept the Fulbright-Hays if I've already accepted a Fulbright.

But this year MUST be a special case, right?? Any word on this at all? Freaking out over here. Am I really going to miss out on $20K due to bureaucratic failure/congressional budget brinksmanship?

Edit: I'm not trying to receive both, just to switch from Fulbright to Fulbright-Hays!

Edited by Kexin Renlei

I did get it. Hope you all on the alternate list get promoted. Because of the weird timing this year, it may well be that there are a number of folks with Fulbrights or SSRC fellowships or the like who will need to decline the F-H, opening up more slots for others. Best of luck!

Hey Kexin, It looks if you change your mind you might have to refund the money you received for the CLEA?

See http://us.fulbrighto...ncement-awards: "N.B.: Should the CLEA grantee decline to take up the Fulbright Full or ETA Grant for any reason not approved by ECA subsequent to CLEA activities, he/she will be obliged to refund to IIE or the Fulbright Commission/Foundation all funds expended to or on behalf of him/her for CLEA and costs of pre-departure and in-country orientations."

They make it pretty clear that the CLEA is a component of your Fulbright grant and by accepting one you're committed to both. And as far as I can tell, one can only receive both the FB and the FH if there is a year's gap in between. I think you're going to have to call the FB office and ask someone about this...

Edited to add: You know, the FB and the FH are not administered in the same way or by the same organization. So it probably is not as easy as just "switching," especially since you are already using FB funds...

Edited by Elli389

Are others out there still waiting? I haven't heard anything from my university...which I would normally take as a bad sign, but someone said we all find out our status at the same time...and I am not sure what to think since it is a Saturday....I don't really want to write the office on a Saturday, but also don't want to wait until Monday!!

According to my campus rep, she was notified on Friday but wouldn't be sending out notices to applicants until next week.

I only found out my status because I called her yesterday.

Sorry ebuckner, you may have to wait until Monday unless your campus rep works on Saturdays?

Thanks Elli, Yeah, I think the best case scenario is that I am allowed to relinquish the Fulbright IIE, accept the Fulbright-Hays, and pay for the CLEA out of the more generous Fulbright-Hays stipend. It sucks that I would be out about $9,000 just because this was the year I applied to everything (I turned down a free language prep program to do the CLEA, ughhhh) - but at least everything could at least hopefully work out this way.

Since you point out that link, Elli, I now have hope that doing this CLEA has actually saved me from Fulbright lock-in! Funny how things work out sometimes (if this does indeed work out. And if missing out on 9K qualifies as things working out).

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how things worked out for you, Kexin? Did you sort things out?

BTW I noticed that you also posted on the FB 2012 thread implying that if you switch from FB to FH some FB alternate would be bumped up. However, my classmate was a FB alternate and she said that alternate status ended in August. That is to say, no more FB awards are made after August even if people who have accepted change their minds.

edited to add: Also BTW, no, I'm not a China applicant waiting to snatch your spot!

Edited by Elli389

I also have alternate status and am waiting as patiently as possible, though I think I am pretty far down on the list. If you contact Amy Wilson, she will let you know where you stand. I don't know if that will help anyone else but it was useful for me.

That's very interesting about the alternate rankings.

Has anyone else called Amy to find out about this?

I would hesitate to call her because last time it was clear that she's really busy.

I wonder if our campus contacts might already have this information.

When I emailed Amy she got back to me the next day, just FYI; I figured you can always ignore an email. I first contacted the administrator at my university handling F-H but she didn't have any information and she also told me that F-H doesn't release all the comment forms, etc., until all the grants have been accepted and allocated, in case you want to use the comments for future apps. My understanding is that in any given year they've generally given out 150ish awards and I imagine, I don't know, maybe 50 alternates?