Top Schools with Alternative Teaching Master's Programs for Licensure/Certification

CQE

Hello,

I'm a rising senior that holds a 3.92 overall GPA (4.0 major) as a Business Administration major. I'm also a member of both the University Honors Program and Business Honors Program at my school.

While I lack both an education and content-specific background (such as a major/minor in English, History, or other subject area for example), I do have experience teaching others. I have been a self-employed tutor for the ACT over the past several years, been employed by my university as a mentor/tutor for its student-athletes, and recently volunteered with a large non-profit (that's funded by A+ College Ready) in an effort to help prepare local high school students for their upcoming year of AP English Language Arts.

I recently concluded through various internships and experiences that teaching was what I wanted to do for a career. I've always loved - not liked - teaching, so it is ironic that I didn't embrace the idea of teaching until only a few months ago. It is unfortunate that I came to this realization late in my college career, and, as a result, am in a bit of a predicament. Conversely, I'm fortunate that I had this epiphany before wasting years in a field/setting I disliked.

I also have a strong interest in teaching high school in urban areas. I currently envision myself teaching for a few years and then moving on to attain my doctorate in Education Leadership or Education Policy (I'll probably go with Education Leadership so I can still maintain relationships with students).

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research lately in an effort to find alternative M.Ed. or MAT programs for secondary education (I'm open to elementary as well, but prefer high school, FWIW). However, there just doesn't seem to be much out there that does not require me to have a degree in my area of interest (English) prior to entering the program. I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining, as I understand why that'd be the case more often times than not. I'm just reaching out to this forum to see if anyone has anything to offer with respect to programs that'd be suitable for me.

I'm also looking into residency and teaching fellowships (like Boston Teacher Residency, TFA, etc.) as well.

Thus far, I've found that Boston College, my current school, and the University of Florida have programs that work for me.

Thanks in advance,

BF

BTW, I'm taking my GRE on August 13.

I've taken a couple of practices tests thus far with little study to this point, and I'm currently at around the 600 V and 690 QR areas (160 V & 154 QR on the new scale). Based off of the class profiles I've looked at, I think that's a pretty decent starting point. I'm pretty confident that my scores will be excellent with 6 more weeks of studying.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that bit of info out since some of you may find it important.

Hi BF,

Actually, interestingly, I found myself in a very similar situation as you. I was a Biology undergraduate student, and wanted to pursue teaching. First off, I joined Teach for America (and while there is a lot of traditional vs. nontraditional certification controversy that other people might start arguing about), which I found to be an extremely awarding experience. It allowed me to teach in inner-city Detroit, and the program also offers Masters programs in Education (ranging from MATs to Masters in Education Administration) with nearby universities in the community (for example we could choose between University of Michigan to Oakland University). I however opted to choose my own Masters program with University of Southern California (USC), whom a few years ago has it available online. The interface and communication and bonding between classmates and professors are incredible, it's like Skype and Google+ on steroids! :D Anyway, their online program is IDENTICAL to the one offered on campus, so I received a USC education all the way in Detroit, from the comfort of my own home.

Now 2 years after earning my BS, and now at the end of my TFA commitment, I'm starting my PhD in Urban Education Policy come this fall at USC.

I hope I gave you a few options to consider, and if you're still interested, you're always welcome to PM me or just reply on here. :D Best of luck!

Hi BF,

Actually, interestingly, I found myself in a very similar situation as you. I was a Biology undergraduate student, and wanted to pursue teaching. First off, I joined Teach for America (and while there is a lot of traditional vs. nontraditional certification controversy that other people might start arguing about), which I found to be an extremely awarding experience. It allowed me to teach in inner-city Detroit, and the program also offers Masters programs in Education (ranging from MATs to Masters in Education Administration) with nearby universities in the community (for example we could choose between University of Michigan to Oakland University). I however opted to choose my own Masters program with University of Southern California (USC), whom a few years ago has it available online. The interface and communication and bonding between classmates and professors are incredible, it's like Skype and Google+ on steroids! :D Anyway, their online program is IDENTICAL to the one offered on campus, so I received a USC education all the way in Detroit, from the comfort of my own home.

Now 2 years after earning my BS, and now at the end of my TFA commitment, I'm starting my PhD in Urban Education Policy come this fall at USC.

I hope I gave you a few options to consider, and if you're still interested, you're always welcome to PM me or just reply on here. :D Best of luck!

That sounds awesome. BTR allows you to get your Master's Degree from UMass-Boston during your first (residency) year. After that initial year, you are placed in a Boston public school and expected to work there for at least 3 years. If you keep your 3-year commitment, the $$$ for your Master's Degree will be totally forgiven.

I'll be applying to TFA, but I'm expecting not to get accepted to the program...mainly because I didn't major in a subject area that they offer to be taught.

But yeah, I think programs like BTR and TFA would be ideal due to the fact that I could walk away with 2-3 years of teaching experience and a Master's Degree at the same time. From there, I could move on to my doctorate at the age of 23-24, just like you're doing!

Edited by BlazerFalcon

Actually, TFA does not have a "major" requirement per se. They will try to get you to test for subjects and certifications that are close to your studies. For example, one of my good friends in TFA was an architecture major, but she ended up teaching Biology and Anatomy. Being a Biology major, I ended up being a middle school English and Public Speaking teacher my first year, and only my second year did I become an Earth Science higher school teacher. It's pretty random, it's based off of need in the district/school.

It's not about what your major is, it's about how much leadership can you demonstrate, how passionate you are about this cause, and if you can pass your certification exams, which honestly are cake.

Edited by hitomimay

Actually, TFA does not have a "major" requirement per se. They will try to get you to test for subjects and certifications that are close to your studies. For example, one of my good friends in TFA was an architecture major, but she ended up teaching Biology and Anatomy. Being a Biology major, I ended up being a middle school English and Public Speaking teacher my first year, and only my second year did I become an Earth Science higher school teacher. It's pretty random, it's based off of need in the district/school.

It's not about what your major is, it's about how much leadership can you demonstrate, how passionate you are about this cause, and if you can pass your certification exams, which honestly are cake.

Whew.

That gives me a little more hope, then.

I saw on their website that you had to have an extensive background in your subject area OR pass the certification exam, so I knew I was still an eligible applicant. I just thought that not majoring - or minoring, at the least - in my subject area would've really made it a long shot. Thanks for the eye-opener, though.