Infectious Disease Epi MS programs?

nugget3

Hello All,

I recently graduated with a BS degree in Biological Sciences and minor in Mathematics in the USA. I am researching master's degree programs in a sort of combination of these fields: mathematical modelling of infectious diseases / infectious disease epidemiology. My interests are (very) broad at this initial research stage, but some of my research interests are bacterial or viral disease modeling, potentially HIV/tuberculosis, impacts of vaccines and retrovirals, global management and outbreaks, evolution of host-pathogen dynamics...

I have thought about an MPH program as well, but I'd like to be more research-oriented and am not sure if that would be the best fit.

This MSc in Modern Epidemiology program at Imperial College London looks like exactly what I want to study:

http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/publichealth/departments/ide/ide_courses/modernepidemiology/

But funding sounds like it's very hard to come by in the UK and I don't have £28,500 laying around... so I thought I would try to find similar programs elsewhere.

Anyway - a few general questions:

1) Is a master's degree typically required before the PhD in this field?

2) Which schools have strong programs in my research areas? Some PhD programs I have read about are: Columbia, Emory, UW... but how about for master's programs?

3) How common is full funding? This is my most major concern. I understand that funding for master's students isn't as available as for PhD students, but if a master's degree is necessary first, then I would need funding.

4) How about English-language international programs? I have no qualms about studying abroad and as I mentioned, London has the program I am most interested in (I just don't know how I'd pay for it!).

If anyone who has completed an MS or PhD degree in this field has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!