Profile Evaluation: Math -> Econ

Löb'sTheorem

Hi all,

I'm presently a math major at an unknown school, but I've taken a pretty absurd number of math courses. My overall GPA is 3.4, but there were several semesters where my schedule consisted of 5-6 math courses. Here is the list of relevant classes:

First year :

Calc I B

Calc 2 B

Calc 3 B

Intro Stats/prob. C+

Linear Algebra A

MAthematical Programming A

Abstract Algebra I A

Intro to higher math A

Number Theory A

Abstract Algebra 2 A

Diff eq B

Numerical Analysis C+

AI programming in OCAML B+

Discrete Mathematics A

Real Variables (under grad real analysis) A-

Real Variables 2 B

Complex Variables C+

Theory of Computation A

Graduate Complexity theory seminar B+

Graduate Formal Methods in Prog. A

Graduate Mathematical Logic I B+

Graduate MAthematical Logic 2 B+

Applied Algebra A

Intro to Alg. Geometry A

Cryptology B

Relevant work experience: One summer working as a research fellow on Algebraic cryptanalysis

Two years as a calculus tutor

Presently have a job for an academically oriented non-profit formatting papers for publication (latex/typsetting work) and doing background research

GRE: 790Q/660V/4.5AW

GRE MAth Subj.: 30%ile (retaking, hope to get to at least 50%ile)

Psych Subject GRE: 50%ile (75%ile on experimental psych subsection) - Note: I have taken no psychology courses, but I have a strong interest in neuroeconomics and behavioral economics. A particular interes here is in searching for invariants in neuroeconomic models of choice and asking how they may be applied within other economic models (prospect theory and behavioral economics are more broadly, interests of mine).

Concerns: No economics experience on paper, no coursework. My university is very iffy, and most of my graduate work was done at a nearby larger university. Also, I may take either graduate real analysis or topology in the fall, along with a course on experimental methods and another probability course.

Interests: The school that I would most like to attend is NYU, for their strong neuroeconomics program. I'm also interested in Duke for the same reason, (also I'm a fan of Robin Hanson). Aside from neuroeconomics my interests lie in modelling bounded rationality, applications of game theoretic analysis to economics, and applications of machine learning and Bayesian statistics to econometric analysis. I'm also interested in the application of Judea Pearl's Structural Models to policy analysis. Also, information/prediction markets (and analyzing information inefficiencies and methods for intervention more generally) are an interest.

I have a very wide range of interests outside of economics, though I'm not sure if that is of any consequence (positive or negative) to schools.

School List Recap:

NYU

CMU

Duke

U Chicago (of course)

Cal Tech

U Rochester

UC San Diego

Ohio State (relatively close to me, seems to have a strong mathematical economics faculty)

Pending any feedback I get here, I'll adjust my list. Currently I feel that it is too skewed towards the top schools, but this just happens to be the list of schools that are of the greatest interest to me presently.

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I'm presently a math major at an unknown school, but I've taken a pretty absurd number of math courses. My overall GPA is 3.4, but there were several semesters where my schedule consisted of 5-6 math courses. Here is the list of relevant classes:

First year :

Calc I B

Calc 2 B

Calc 3 B

Intro Stats/prob. C+

Linear Algebra A

MAthematical Programming A

Abstract Algebra I A

Intro to higher math A

Number Theory A

Abstract Algebra 2 A

Diff eq B

Numerical Analysis C+

AI programming in OCAML B+

Discrete Mathematics A

Real Variables (under grad real analysis) A-

Real Variables 2 B

Complex Variables C+

Theory of Computation A

Graduate Complexity theory seminar B+

Graduate Formal Methods in Prog. A

Graduate Mathematical Logic I B+

Graduate MAthematical Logic 2 B+

Applied Algebra A

Intro to Alg. Geometry A

Cryptology B

Relevant work experience: One summer working as a research fellow on Algebraic cryptanalysis

Two years as a calculus tutor

Presently have a job for an academically oriented non-profit formatting papers for publication (latex/typsetting work) and doing background research

GRE: 790Q/660V/4.5AW

GRE MAth Subj.: 30%ile (retaking, hope to get to at least 50%ile)

Psych Subject GRE: 50%ile (75%ile on experimental psych subsection) - Note: I have taken no psychology courses, but I have a strong interest in neuroeconomics and behavioral economics. A particular interes here is in searching for invariants in neuroeconomic models of choice and asking how they may be applied within other economic models (prospect theory and behavioral economics are more broadly, interests of mine).

Concerns: No economics experience on paper, no coursework. My university is very iffy, and most of my graduate work was done at a nearby larger university. Also, I may take either graduate real analysis or topology in the fall, along with a course on experimental methods and another probability course.

Interests: The school that I would most like to attend is NYU, for their strong neuroeconomics program. I'm also interested in Duke for the same reason, (also I'm a fan of Robin Hanson). Aside from neuroeconomics my interests lie in modelling bounded rationality, applications of game theoretic analysis to economics, and applications of machine learning and Bayesian statistics to econometric analysis. I'm also interested in the application of Judea Pearl's Structural Models to policy analysis. Also, information/prediction markets (and analyzing information inefficiencies and methods for intervention more generally) are an interest.

I have a very wide range of interests outside of economics, though I'm not sure if that is of any consequence (positive or negative) to schools.

School List Recap:

NYU

CMU

Duke

U Chicago (of course)

Cal Tech

U Rochester

UC San Diego

Ohio State (relatively close to me, seems to have a strong mathematical economics faculty)

Pending any feedback I get here, I'll adjust my list. Currently I feel that it is too skewed towards the top schools, but this just happens to be the list of schools that are of the greatest interest to me presently.

Hi, I am not sure if my reply to you would be still relevant, but anyway.. If you are interested in neuroeconomics/behavioral economics (I am also fascinated about it) why won't you consider Claremont Graduate University as well? They have MA in Economics program where you can extensively study subjects related to beh-l economics/neuroeconomics. I guess they also have a phd in neuroeconomics (I think the first one in US) if you are interested. Also, there is a center for neuroeconomic studies there, where I think some graduate students can work. That's just the addition to your list ( may by not so prestigious, but also worth of considering).

Good luck!

Well, if you really want to go to NYU, then shoot for NYU.  The one thing that I would like to point out/add is that depending on how profound your interest is in Beyesian Statistical methods, you may want to take a second look at Duke's Statistics department.  They have one of the largest concentrations of Beyesian Stats guys that I know of.  In addition, they are (by they i mean their stats departments in particular) pushing for interdisiplinary study, so they have concentrations such as "Statistics in Economics" or "Statistics in Psychology."

Hopefully that helps...