"Getting Back into Academia" after Subject Area Break

ktwho

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to Spanish/Latin American PhD programs this fall and have letters lined up. One former professor recommended that I "get back into academia," without any further advice. So, I'm interpreting this as either taking a couple of courses non-credit, if I can given that I have a full-time job, OR by publishing something. This, however, could prove a little difficult to do in the next 6 months because most publications require much more lead time. I live close to Stanford and have been able to attend a couple of departmental events there, to at least be immersed in academic Spanish language.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/advice for this?

A little background:

BA-Spanish and International Studies, grad. 2003

One-year of MA coursework in Spanish 2004-2005 at the same university

a gazillion moves with the military later as my husband was active duty, and I completed and online MA in ESL, 2010. I've been pretty entrenched in the ESL world since, though I've been trying to pick up some Spanish work lately. I've presented at the international TESOL Convention and a state conference and have published an article, though in a newsletter, not a journal.

None of my Spanish profs think that applying is a long shot more than other applicants and think that having my teaching experience may be advantageous, but, again, any advice would be appreciated. I'm thinking book reviews...

Thanks!