US PhD with UK degree - What are my chances?

Tempest36

Been watching the forums for a while and finally decided to post. Wonder if anyone could give me an idea if the PhD programs i'm looking at are realistic and if there is anything else I could do to improve my chances. I am mainly concerned about my research experience (Or seemingly lack of it) as most people on here seem to have 3 years plus and my university didnt offer any research opportunities for students.

Thank you in advance for anyone who replies.

Applying to: MIT, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Stanford, Duke

Education:

University of London - BEng First Class Honors (4.0 GPA equivalent)

Imperial College London - MSc (In progress)

Major: Biomedical Engineering (Neurotechnology)

GRE: Taking in a month

Research Experience:

Summer placement in world class neuroscience research centre (Possible publication)

Bachelors Thesis (Award winning)

Extracurriculars: Founder and Project Manager of university's FSAE team, Engineering Society president, Science communication volunteer in government program, Committee member of an international Engineering Institution

Letters of Recommendation: 3 excellent references expected

I had a related question a few months back:

Summer placement in world class neuroscience research centre (Possible publication)

I'd chase that publication.

Is there a research component to your Master's that you can talk about in the application?

Edited by Rpxp

Is there a research component to your Master's that you can talk about in the application?

There is a research component to the Masters but like for you it wont start until long after i've sent my applications.

Just wondering, Will you be getting all of your references from your original institution or will you try to get one from an Oxford academic?

Yeh, a similar predicament!

Good question about the references. I intend on obtaining two of the three references from my previous university, and obtaining the third from Oxford. I have doubts as to how well I can get to know the new academics within the short time frame there is; IIRC applications to US universities close around early 2013 giving me 3 months or so.

Edited by Rpxp