International Student (Belgium) questions?

kpuchino

Hello everybody,

It's been a while that I plan to apply for US universities and finally I started the process.

I graduated in 2009 from a M.S. in Industrial Engineering and working since that moment.

Actually I've tons of questions but I'll focus on the most important one to me at the moment.

My GPA (in Belgium) was 70-75%.

My GRE scores are 149V-158Q-3A (440V-740Q-3A or 42%-79%-11%).

I'll take IELTS in September or October.

I plan to apply in Mechanical Engineering for a M.S. or a Ph.D.

Do you think that 158Q (740Q) is enough for an international student to apply in the top 20 engineering universities or do I have to retake the GRE?

From what I've read over the forum and internet, the averages GRE scores for domestic students are in the range 750-790. So what about international students whose mother language is not English?

(Because I've no doubt that an international student from England will raise better GRE scores than me).

That's my main question because it'll make important changes in the application schedule that I made.

Thanks in advance,

Alexis.

Hi Alexis,

I'll try to answer your question, since nobody else has (however, keep in mind that I am totally ignorant of all things engineering as I am nowhere close to being an engineering student). Also, I see you're new here--so, just so you know, most people on this and other GradCafe forums tend to completely ignore anything resembling a what-are-my-chances type question (see the pinned topic: Before you ask "WHAT ARE MY CHANCES???" http://forum.thegrad...4-applications/) . This is probably because no one can tell you definitively what your chances are, especially considering people here on the Applications forum are mostly preoccupied with their own chances of being admitted. I think you would get more informed responses to your questions about your overall competitiveness if you were to identify some programs you are currently considering, and maybe mention a little about your research interests and experience. Though, you might also scroll down to The Menu section and read through threads on the Applied Sciences & Mathematics' Engineering forum. Perhaps, you should post there and see if anybody has any useful information to impart.

From my limited knowledge, engineering programs seem über competitive among international students. I don't think your biggest competition are domestic students or native English speakers. Students from East and South Asia are highly competitive applicants. No matter your chances, you should put together the strongest possible application, and if it is at all reasonable for you to increase your GRE scores, then perhaps you should plan for that. I take it you're a girl, Alexis? (I apologize if you're not). Most schools are looking to diversify their student body and encourage more women to apply to fields like engineering.

So, what's the weather in Belgium like?

Edited by I'm a fact.

Ahah thanks for answering in fact i'm a........... MAN!

I was obviously a newbie on this forum. But since my last post i went through the topics you mentionned.

After thinking about my whole case I may retake the GRE if I have time in october. (Applying for December).

But I have to take IELTS before and see if I continue the application process.

I normally could get a good reference letter from an European institution (if you guess it well)... do you think that's good point or not?

I'm giving a shot applying for US universities since it's been 3 years that i'm hesitating. So I want to know what could be the best things to have in an application... I mean do they care more about GRE, GPA or IELTS than Reference Letter, or SOP...?

I've received an autoreply email from Mechanical Engineering Department of MIT (yeah I know maybe am I over confident) but it's written that there's no minimum GRE scores. So they're is no way that I'll get Red Flagged for my GRE scores for example?

By the way, weather sucks here.

Alexis.