Online Museum Sciences Certificate Programs??

tmishra

Hello,

I am a Grad student in Art History. I am looking to learn Museum Sciences on the side just as a boost. I am interested in short courses that deal with the basics and provide me some kind of certification in the end as a proof of my study. Also, since I am a Grad student (Poverty) I cannot afford to pay alot. Any help??

It's just funny word choice but you should probably be aware there aren't as many 'museum science' as 'museum studies', just so you know what you might have better luck searching.

I'm not sure the actual value or what the requirements are but I know GWU and Leicester have mstd online cert program (ul is an 18 month distance learning postgrad grad diploma which is pretty much the same thing from what I can tell), I think Johns Hopkins may have one as well.

From my experience, museum studies degrees/certificates tend to have less value in art museums, especially for a potential curator. Getting solid experience working in whatever type of museum department you are interested in, either through internships or temporary positions, is usually the best way to show employers that you have the qualifications necessary for a permanent position. Some schools offer a certificate in museum studies or a concentration as a supplement to an art history masters, which doesn't cost extra. I would really investigate how much gaining an extra qualification like this will help you in your career ambitions before you commit time and money to it.

I agree with Shelley. Also, the cornerstone of most museum studies programs is their internship component, which would be impossible to replicate online. I'm not familiar with any online museum studies programs, and while they might exist, a good internship with a local museum might be more cost-effective and helpful for your resume.

Edited by runaway