Career Path towards DC Think Tank?

Hi, I am an international student who just enrolled into the IA master program at GW and need your suggestion. If my ultimate goal is to be an East Asia expert in a DC think tank or a private consulting company like Eurasia, shall I try to get an entry-level job in a think tank or go for a PhD degree immediately after MA? If a PhD is suggested, shall I stay in DC or apply for other Top10 IA schools?

I have heard that the competition for a job in think tanks is extremely heated. Also, the job opportunity for a PhD student who does not want to work in academia is quite limited. So I am feeling a bit stressed. Shall I give up my IA plan and do something more REALISTIC like working in a private business company? I need your suggestion. Thanks.

PhD is usually a good look for working in think tanks. At the same time, work experience is king when you're job hunting. Do you have any?

I have been an intern in several places in my home country, but I have not worked as an official employee in the US.

Edited by aaron4848

Well one excellent aspect of the GWU masters program is that with the evening class schedule, you can go for internships or even jobs during the day. Apply for an internship/fellowship with the think tanks you're interested in and use that to get your foot in the door and assess the qualifications of those currently holding the job you want to have.

I would second the suggestion of getting think tank experience while doing your masters. I am at GW and I know several people that are either interning or working at think tanks part time. I think that would the best way to 1) get experience and 2) figure out if you really need to go on to a PhD.