I'm deferring my 1st year of gradute education. Should I note that on my resume?

sevyn731

I got in to my 2nd choice school not to long ago, but unfortunately wont be able to attend this fall b/c I can't afford my tuition. I can't get a loan due to credit card debt (approx $4k).

What I would like to do is spend the next year applying for scholarships and working off my debt, but obviously I need a decent paying job/internship to do so. I'm planning on sending my resume cover letter and work sample to a number of firms and agencies specializing in landscape design and planning, most of them in the city my graduate school is in. Should I note in my resume/cover letter that I will be attending grad school in a year same city or not?

Should I note in my resume/cover letter that I will be attending grad school in a year same city or not?

I wouldn't. The reasoning being that they may be concerned that you are going to quit after a year to attend school. Most hiring managers want you to stay for more than one year because the hiring and training process is so expensive (at least in salaried positions where you have independence and responsibility).

And a lot can happen in a year. You may decide that you want to continue in the job for a couple years and delay grad school again. Or you may decide to change your field and apply to different schools.

The only reason I can see that you would disclose the grad school deferment if they ask you to commit to a certain amount of years -or- if the position is only for a year.

Definitely don't mention it. Like the other poster said, only mention it if they specifically want to place you in a contract where you have to work for over a year. Most companies know realistically that people right out of school may not commit for awhile.Just don't mention it since you might end up missing out on a great opportunity and you may never know how the future will turn out.