GTown SSP/Similar Programs Background

I am looking for some input on the Security Studies program at Georgetown, and also similar programs. I was previously looking into a MPP, but Security seems to be a much better fit for what I want to do. Does anyone know specifically what kind of background they are looking for in applicants? I have 2 years of professional work experience in renewable energy as of August '12, and was considering applying this coming fall...But I am also only 2 years out of undergrad.

If I were to wait and apply in Fall '13, what are some good job/internship/volunteer opportunities to look for that could help strengthen by background? I am interested in AmeriCorps, but not sure if that's the right way to go. Besides that, I guess some kind of entry-level job in security? I feel like that is a chicken and egg situation - hard to get unless you have previous exp/degree, but need related work exp to get into degree program..Any input is appreciated!

It's only 'hard' to get into a security related field because of your location - if you move to the DC area getting a gig with a government consulting firm, a DoD contractor or a security focused think tank is perfectly plausible. (But there are also lots of DoD contractor positions in CA, if you live in a major city)

However realize that there isn't really a "security" specialty once you actually get into that realm - and that the current career path you are on will actually be *better* to stick with / align to your interests. So USE your background in security as your specialty / statement of purpose into Georgetown - renewable energy is all the rage for the Department of Defense, and analysts who focus on energy industry/supply chain/economics-of will always be welcome at the 3-letter agencies.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I may then try and apply this Fall and just see what happens - and I will use my experience in renewable energy in my SOP. I still think I will be very light on the experience side (esp in security related jobs/internships), but I have strong academics and should have great recommendations. If I wait a year, I would love to intern for the govt...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a similar question regarding Georgetown SSP. I'm an Ecuadorian fulbrighter who just secured more than 100K in ecuadorian government scholarships. Also I've had 3 years working in the ecuadorian security community starting from the Presidency's Security analysis staff to the Join Ecuadorian Armed Forces Command and currently I'm the Foreign Ministry's senior military analyst. Best of all is that most of my experience starts 3 years before i graduated as a B.A. in political science in Ecuador. Could you please give some input regarding the competitiveness of my application to Gtown? My graduation grade ranked 5th from 24 and I got a diploma for the best thesis in the politica science faculty. I also got a salutatorian in a academic course organized by the Joint Ecuadorian Armed Forces Command.

Thanks!