Low GPA for bio MS program

amanda_nicole09

I'll try to keep this short: Im an upcoming senior biology major this fall and my current overall gpa is a 2.88 (ive gotten 2 d's in ochem 2 and biochem). I want to apply for a MS biology program, however granted that i get all a's this semester, my overall gpa will only be a 3.0 by the time program applications are due. I dont really have any research experience outside of class laboratory, so i was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and if so, what did you do? Im thinking I might have to do some post bacc. classes just to get my gap up, even though this wont solve my experience problem. Any advice is appreciated.

My situation was a bit different but had the same effect on my GPA as yours. When I applied to grad schools, my ug GPA was about the same as yours now. What helped me was work experience and excellent letters of recommendation. As an undergrad, I did not plan on going to grad school but I knew that I needed work experience in order to be competitive after graduation. I worked in two research labs, each in a different discipline (geochemistry and ecology). After obtaining my BS, I worked in analytical chemistry for 5 years. During that time, I decided that I wanted to pursue grad school and took some postbac classes.

I recommend that you talk to some professors and get into a research lab before school starts in the fall. If they can pay you, great! If they can't, ask if you can do independent research or volunteer. By joining a research group, you will gain experience and a letter of rec. These will improve your chances of admission tremendously. As for the 2 D's, it's imperative that you retake ochem and biochem during your senior year (or stay an extra semester). Most schools do not consider D as passing.

Admission criteria vary from school to school. Most schools say that they look at the entire package and not just grades or test scores, but it's difficult to say whether adcoms actually review the entire package. In general, it's safe to say that minimum GPA and GRE scores are there to weed out students with weak applications. With a 3.0 GPA, you can improve your application by having work experience, good LOR's and good GRE scores. Another factor that comes into play is having a POI vouch for you. When you research grad programs and make contact with POI's, discuss your story with them. In my experience, every POI has been candid, and most of them were helpful. Some will tell your outright that they prefer students with better stats, and as hard as it is to hear, it's ok. Just move on to the next one. When you connect with the right POI who is interested in you, they can usually persuade the adcom to admit you, granted that you meet the minimum requirements of the graduate school (the program may have min requirements that are different).

A note on researching programs: it's great to shoot for the stars, you may get lucky and find a POI who will fight for you. Keep in mind that top tier schools will get very competitive applicants, so your chances of admission will not be great (with your current stats). Spend a lot of time on program research and apply to schools that will be a good fit for you. If you plan to take some time off after you finish your degree, be sure to keep in touch with all your potential LOR writers. I've maintained a good relationship with all of mine, and even after so many years, it was very easy to get letters from them. In fact, that was the easiest part of my application process. If you have further questions, feel free to pm me.

Edited by TropicalCharlie