How many biomedical phd programs should I apply to?

Priasha

How many phd programs is recommended for prospective phd applicant in the biomedical field? I have 12 programs picked out that I am very interested in but I think that might be too many to apply to. I am applying to programs that are in the top 25.

If necessary:

GPA: 3.7 in molecular bio with biomedical research minor

from a top university

three strong LOR

Research in experience 2.5 - 3 years

When it comes to how many programs you want to apply to you should consider a few things. 1). Cost. Each application itself is $40-$75 plus the scores, transcripts, documentation and what not you have to send. Applying to 12 schools would be around $600.00 in application fees alone. 2). Time. What are you doing right now? Are you working full time or do you have a lot of time to devote to applications. Schools require a lot of different things and applications can become time consuming. 3). Desire. What schools do you really want to attend? What area do you see yourself living? 4). Fit. Some schools may have a great program, but is it the right one for you?

You seem to have a strong portfolio, what I would recommend is that take the 12 schools you are interested in and use that as a starting point. Compare and contrast the programs and maybe narrow it down to maybe 6.

You can apply to 12 if you would like, but do you REALLY want to attend all 12 of those schools? For a phd I applied to 3 schools I know I wanted to go to, had a program I was interested in, and I believe I could get into. Getting accepted to a lot of schools might boost your ego, but you really only need one. Just my opinion. Best of wishes!