Dual master's before counseling psych PhD?

LaurenM22

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, and I'm looking for some help. My ultimate goal is to earn a PhD in counseling psychology so I can teach/supervise/research/and practice. I have a pretty competitive application already (3.8 GPA, practicum, volunteer, neuropsych test administration experience/5 semesters of TA and psychology mentoring experience/ but only a year of paid research experience and honors thesis after this year). I am retaking my GRE because I wasn't happy with my score. I have realized that in addition to having a low amount of research experience, I also don't have my interests in counseling psych nailed down yet. I would like to have a better idea of my research interests before committing 5-7 years to a program.

That said, I'm looking into the dual master's in counseling and social psychology at Ball State University. I think the dual major provides an interesting look at the social aspects of the counseling field (I am not looking to go into social completely). Does anyone know anything about this program? Also, does anyone know any counseling programs that specifically prepare you for a PhD (master's thesis etc.)?

ANY advice you have would be appreciated!

LM

I would advise not going the dual master's route. One, there are more economical ways to figure out your research interest than doing a dual masters. For example, just reading widely on your own is often sufficient. Two, if your goal is to a PhD, I would advise just going directly the PhD route. You can do the exploration that you want in a PhD program. Your application certainly seems competitive enough for a PhD program.

Of course, I know very little about counseling psychology.

I actually decided to do a master's before my PhD (but not in counseling) and I think it was a really great decision for me. I learned a lot more about my research interests, made a lot of connections, got lots of fantastic/grueling research experience (more than I got working as a research coordinator), and built up my confidence that not only was this was what I wanted to do, but that I was capable of doing it. I did have to take out some student loans, but I found a way to live cheaply, and I do get paid through TA'ing and I also got a stipend position for my 2nd year that covers about half of my tuition, so all in all I think it was worth it- I really won't graduate with that much debt, especially when compared to living in a city like Boston and making pennies as a research assistant or research coordinator.

In addition, a lot of my classmates have been figuring out they want to do different things over the two years- ex. some want to go the PsyD, some counseling, some realize research/grad school isn't for them and having a master's degree is enough for what they want to do. In my opinion, I wouldn't committ 5-6 years of your life to something that you don't feel 100% mentally ready for.

In addition, a lot of my classmates have been figuring out they want to do different things over the two years- ex. some want to go the PsyD, some counseling, some realize research/grad school isn't for them and having a master's degree is enough for what they want to do. In my opinion, I wouldn't committ 5-6 years of your life to something that you don't feel 100% mentally ready for.

That is a much better advice than I gave. You really should feel committed about attending graduate school.

Darwin- I definitely agreed with some of your points! :-)

Lauren, I honestly have to say to go with your gut. I had an untraditional route to psych, and when I was making the decision about attending a master's program, I talked to a LOT of professors who I worked with or took classes with. A lot of them told me that I was a great candidate, and a master's was a waste of time- I should just apply directly to a PhD program, and figure it out as I go. Some did tell me the master's was a good option- including a few Clinical Psych PhD students who went the master's route first and felt like it really matured them and gave them a solid footing for PhD programs. After applying to different master's programs, interviewing/touring, talking to current students, and examining my finances, my gut told me to go with my current program. I got into a few master's programs, including one with tuition remission and a stipend, but the one I ended up with just felt like the right thing for me at that point in my life, and I was willing to make the accompanying sacrifices. I'm incredibly happy with my choice, and I feel perfectly centered and focused with upcoming PhD applications- not to mention that my current program probably opened up a few doors for those apps.

So, if you love the program, you don't feel ready to go right to a PhD program, you've examined more traditional routes like working as an RA or a coordinator, and you've thought a bit about finances, I say go for it. There is certainly no harm applying!

PS In my opinion, talking to current students is the best route- there are definitely pros/cons to every path and from what I've seen, grad students are very honest about what they like and don't like about their programs. Try contacting admissions and getting the contact info for a current student?

Thanks everyone! You've given great advice from both sides.

Lisa-It's really nice to hear the route you took. I think the thing that freaks me out most is that there are so many directions you can go in. I've talked to the grad students (clinical PhD) who work in my lab, and they have good advice as well, but they know little about the types of programs I'm applying to. I think the next step is to contact the program and see if I can talk to some current students. I think I may also apply to an assortment of master's and PhD's just to see where the chips fall. I don't want to put all my eggs (or applications) in one basket. Of course, if I really don't feel a good fit, I've considered applying for RA position as well.