Odds of being admitted are stacked against me

amanda_nicole09

Im an undergrad student about to start my senior year, but the more i research graduate programs for a master's (mainly those revolving around microbiology because thats what i love) the more im starting to think that theres no way im going to get into grad school period.

current gpa: 2.88, but should be back to 3.0 by admissions (this is a story in itself)

no formal outside of class research experience (thus, no way to get a lor to talk about my lab experience)

I take the gre for the first time in about a week.

all of this goes against everything grad schools and professors are looking for, so im wondering is science over for me once i graduate (because you cant really do anything with just a BS in bio) or can anyone suggest a good backup plan for me? I honestly feel like my world is ending :o

You do need to get some research experience. It might be worth getting a job as a lab tech before applying, but the master's itself should give you a chance to get some research experience (and it shouldn't be as super-competitve as PhD admissions).

Edited by emmm

Yeah...it is tough to get a foot in the door. I had similar problems until I took a few classes at a local community college and made some good contacts there (I had to go to a different town for research experience, though).

Can you volunteer for one of the labs at your school? I'm a master's student in a microbiology lab, and we have two undergrad volunteers who come in and help with our projects. I know it's still hard to get your foot in the door, but maybe that will help? Good luck, and keep your head up.

I actually tried to do that for the past 2 years with profs. in the department. ( we have a program type deal where you can get class credit for pretty much assisting profs with their research) But no one would work with me because they either didnt have openings, or I didnt have large enough chunks of time during the day, on the days, when they worked on research. ( i dont work, its just my class schedule always sucks) Now that im a senior, no one wants to work with me because they want younger students that they can work with for multiple years, which i understand, but I'm omg i need someone to let me in!

What is in your schedule that doesn't allow you to volunteer (due to time restrictions)? Is it something that is a priority over getting experience? If it's classes, could you change the classes you are in? But if you can't, I would really focus on the classes during the final year- getting your GPA as high as possible. From there, maybe you could find a lab to volunteer in once you graduate. Oftentimes, working around a work schedule is easier than classes due to consistency. Moreover, professors wouldn't see you as someone that is going to leave soon (even if you think you are in order to go to graduate school).

Most of my summer and school year research experience has been unofficial (not technically part of a structured internship program) because I always needed something that would work around my military obligations......just keep talking to people. I managed to get a research position at Cornell University simply because I networked, and continued to show people my true interest in the field. There are alot of ways to get experience which isn't part of an official program, like a summer internship. I think if you are able to find your way into a lab without being part of an official internship/REU program, it can even make you look more creative/motivated.

Good luck!

Edited by smc8339

No, its not any outside personal obligations that are causing the time restrictions, its just the classes that im in. At this point i cant really change them because im only taking my last bit of requirements; some classes only having 1 offered time. But, i agree with you smc8339; Im going to work on getting that GPA as high as possible. Im going to do some heavy research on labs and network (im guessing both private and university labs...?) Im determined to find my way in, as I really cant see myself doing anything else in life, and being happy about it.

thanks for all the advice so far you guys!

I ended up taking a year between undergrad and grad school to build research experience and it really helped my application. If you do take a year off from school, my advice would be to try and work in a few labs so that you get multiple LoR and have a more well rounded resume.