Current undergrad seeking MAT/MEd

lainua

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum so I would like some positive/constructive insight.

I am currently a 4th year undergrad with a non-traditional major "Public Health Policy" with a minor in "Education". I found myself to enjoy education a lot more than I thought I would, so I'm thinking of applying to grad school. However, I don't really know what grad school route I should do.

1. My school has this amazing MAT/Teacher's Credential program - so I could apply to that, and then teach for a couple of years and then work my way up the ladder and get into administration (principal, asst. principal, etc)

2. Apply straight to Masters in Education in Educational Administration and work from there. The problem is I don't know many jobs that are in this field. Personally, I'd much rather do this route because then I would already be in administration, which is what I am exactly interested in.

My main goal is to work in the education field with much emphasis in administration, counseling, advising, and such. I currently have a few experiences in teaching and I also work at a SAT prep place. Which route do you guys think I should take?

Is it true that there aren't many teachers being hired nowadays? Do you think I have a better chance with a MEd with educational administration? Feedback please! Also, I am not looking to go much into Ivy Leagues, I come from California & would like to stay in California.

Thanks!

Well, a lot of states require you have X years of teaching experience before becoming a principal. If it's not an explicit requirement, I guarantee you it's still viewed as "necessary" by whomever would be looking to hire such a position.

I mean, think about it. If you were a teacher, how would you feel being led by someone who has never been in YOUR shoes (ala taught a class)? Sure, it sounds great in theory to move directly into a managerial role, but, even if it is possible, you won't have a firm grip on what you're doing. Additionally, I imagine that since you'd have no teaching experience, you'd have no clout and credibility; therefore, you wouldn't be respected and I guarantee you'd know you weren't respected through the grapevine.

More importantly, how are you truly able to make decisions involving your teachers if you have ZERO idea what works and what doesn't based off of your own experience? Would you honestly be putting your teachers and students in the best possible position to succeed?

A textbook can only get you so far. At the end of the day, experience is what matters most in the real world.

For what it's worth, we are almost in the same boat, laiuna. I'm a business major that has realized over the past year that teaching is what I love. I've always done education-related things, but I've always been apprehensive about owning my interest and passion to teach. I, too, want to eventually move into educational leadership, though I must admit that I'm skeptical as to whether or not I'll enjoy it as much as teaching based off the fact that I'd be losing out on interacting with my students and watching them develop as people.

I urge you to consider taking a route that I'm considering taking:

I think what I'm more than likely going to do is get a MAT/MEd. in elementary education because as a business major with no content-specific background (biology, math, language arts, or any other subject that is traditionally a part of primary/secondary curriculums), that is my fastest route to certification. In most instances, I'd essentially be forced to "major" (in terms of credit-hours) in a given content-area in addition to the regular M.Ed./MAT classes if I wanted to teach at the secondary level initially. Doing that would take around 2 years.

On the other hand, getting elementary education certification can be done in one year. Therefore, I could become an elementary teacher after one year while taking classes in the summers in order to obtain my secondary certification.

Upon getting my secondary certification, I'd obviously like to teach at the high school level for a couple of years.

At this point, I'll be around 26-27 years old with teaching experience at MULTIPLE levels (primary/secondary). I'll then be looking towards my doctorate in education leadership. Upon obtaining my doctorate, I'd accept a role as an "education leader" somewhere or teach until a desirable "leadership" opportunity arises.

In my opinion, I think it's a good idea for me to teach at multiple levels, for I believe it'll make me a respectable candidate for education leadership positions with both primary and secondary schools. In other words, it seems logical to me that I'd have a better chance of landing a job since I have experience at multiple levels. Lastly, I think it'd set me up for being a more qualified superintendent candidate.

In short, I recommend you go with option 1. If you don't believe what I said, go talk to some people that work in the education field, whether it be teachers, administrators, policymakers, or members of education "think tanks". If you have no teaching experience, be prepared to not be respected or even listened to, whatsoever.

Edited by BlazerFalcon

Well, a lot of states require you have X years of teaching experience before becoming a principal. If it's not an explicit requirement, I guarantee you it's still viewed as "necessary" by whomever would be looking to hire such a position.

I mean, think about it. If you were a teacher, how would you feel being led by someone who has never been in YOUR shoes (ala taught a class)? Sure, it sounds great in theory to move directly into a managerial role, but, even if it is possible, you won't have a firm grip on what you're doing. Additionally, I imagine that since you'd have no teaching experience, you'd have no clout and credibility; therefore, you wouldn't be respected and I guarantee you'd know you weren't respected through the grapevine.

More importantly, how are you truly able to make decisions involving your teachers if you have ZERO idea what works and what doesn't based off of your own experience? Would you honestly be putting your teachers and students in the best possible position to succeed?

A textbook can only get you so far. At the end of the day, experience is what matters most in the real world.

For what it's worth, we are almost in the same boat, laiuna. I'm a business major that has realized over the past year that teaching is what I love. I've always done education-related things, but I've always been apprehensive about owning my interest and passion to teach. I, too, want to eventually move into educational leadership, though I must admit that I'm skeptical as to whether or not I'll enjoy it as much as teaching based off the fact that I'd be losing out on interacting with my students and watching them develop as people.

I urge you to consider taking a route that I'm considering taking:

I think what I'm more than likely going to do is get a MAT/MEd. in elementary education because as a business major with no content-specific background (biology, math, language arts, or any other subject that is traditionally a part of primary/secondary curriculums), that is my fastest route to certification. In most instances, I'd essentially be forced to "major" (in terms of credit-hours) in a given content-area in addition to the regular M.Ed./MAT classes if I wanted to teach at the secondary level initially. Doing that would take around 2 years.

On the other hand, getting elementary education certification can be done in one year. Therefore, I could become an elementary teacher after one year while taking classes in the summers in order to obtain my secondary certification.

Upon getting my secondary certification, I'd obviously like to teach at the high school level for a couple of years.

At this point, I'll be around 26-27 years old with teaching experience at MULTIPLE levels (primary/secondary). I'll then be looking towards my doctorate in education leadership. Upon obtaining my doctorate, I'd accept a role as an "education leader" somewhere or teach until a desirable "leadership" opportunity arises.

In my opinion, I think it's a good idea for me to teach at multiple levels, for I believe it'll make me a respectable candidate for education leadership positions with both primary and secondary schools. In other words, it seems logical to me that I'd have a better chance of landing a job since I have experience at multiple levels. Lastly, I think it'd set me up for being a more qualified superintendent candidate.

In short, I recommend you go with option 1. If you don't believe what I said, go talk to some people that work in the education field, whether it be teachers, administrators, policymakers, or members of education "think tanks". If you have no teaching experience, be prepared to not be respected or even listened to, whatsoever.

Thanks a lot for replying! I agree with you too, coming from a non-traditional major, it's tough. It's really tough to actually have people believe your passion for teaching. But I've read through numerous number of forums and a lot of people aren't the traditional "psychology, sociology" majors.

I also agree on what you said about getting my MAT/Credential's first before moving up. I think that it is also very smart of you to teach at multiple levels! Hopefully, I'll be able to be certified in multiple subjects, however I am aiming to teach math (taking the CSET will get me certify in just elementary math with my program). I think that it definitely makes you more marketable! I plan to talk to my counselors sometime this week though! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

You're right - it is indeed tough to prove your passion relative to those who have been on the education track the entire time they've been in college.

That's why I'm going to lay it all out in my statement of purpose and simply own the fact that I was apprehensive about teaching. I'm just going to be honest and briefly touch on my journey towards this ephiphany. I come from a background that really makes me appreciate what education can do for people in the most dire of circumstances, so that is what I want to get across in my SoP.

If adcoms at a couple of schools can't accept that, then to hell with 'em, I say. I mean, it's one thing to always be told "do what you love" your entire life, but it's an entirely different thing to come to that conclusion on your own as we have done. Yeah, some of us were timorous about embracing teaching, but the vast majority of students are "scared" about going into any one area because it's difficult to know with 100% certainty that something is right for us.

I think most adcoms possess the common sense to not hold it against us, especially if we can make a compelling case for our passion and desire to teach via our SoP.

But, if they can't accept that fact, then I don't want to go to that school anyway.

But yeah man, go for it. Teach elementary math and work your way towards teaching secondary math...then move on to a doctorate in education leadership. If it so turns out that education leadership IS NOT what you think it will be, then you can transition back into teaching. That requires your ego taking a back seat (as well as your bank account), but our one shot at life should be spent doing what we love.

It sounds corny, but we all know it's the truth. My internships and jobs to this point have made me realize that no amount of money is worth me hating going to work everyday.

Anyway, since we're in the same boat, feel free to PM me at anytime. It'd be cool to see where we both wind up a year from now.

Edited by BlazerFalcon

Definitely, thanks a lot for the pep talk / advice! I think I really needed to hear that. I was just thinking if I should mention my non traditional major to the schools I'm applying through my SoP but I guess I should.

If you love what you do, you'll never have to work a day in your life. ;)

Definitely, thanks a lot for the pep talk / advice! I think I really needed to hear that. I was just thinking if I should mention my non traditional major to the schools I'm applying through my SoP but I guess I should.

If you love what you do, you'll never have to work a day in your life. ;)

Indeed.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want an unbiased reader of your SoP. I'm still working on mine, but I'll probably want a handful of random readers' thoughts on it when finished.