Career Change to Biostatistics?

I am in serious need of advice. I am currently seeking to change my career. Right now, I am a special education teacher. I have been in this position for 8 years. It has taken me years to decide that I want a math related career. After doing plenty of research, I have settled on the field of biostatistics. The problem is I don't have a math or science background. I would like to enter a grad program in Fall 2013.

I have a B.A. in Communication (minor in Political Science). GPA- I received it in May 2004. I also have an M.S. in Urban Education since May 2007 (I received this as a result of an alternative teacher certification program).

I am 30 years old, live in NYC, married and have one child. I would like to go back to school to make this switch, but I am stuck in a few areas. For one, I do not wish to relocate at the moment. Also, I need to keep my education costs as low as possible.

I am going to a local college this fall to take courses in Calculus, Biology, and Chemistry at the undergraduate level as prerequisites. I also plan to take the GRE soon ( I never took it before).

Questions

1. M.S. or MPH in Biostatistics in terms of a job and pay? I have heard that people view the MPH as fluff. ( An affordable school local to me is SUNY Downstate. They have a MPH in Biostatistics) Another school I have seen is New Jersey Institute of Technology (with the MS in Biostatistics- although it is a bit pricier)

2. Should I even think about getting an M.S. in Statistics and look at SUNY Stonybrook or one of the CUNYs? Would this be a good route to enter the Biostatistics field?

3. Ultimately, I would like to earn a PhD, but that's down the line.

3. Based on my background and plan, does it seem like I even stand a chance?

To enter in Fall 2013, wouldn't you need to be applying this fall? It doesn't sound as though you are ready. You haven't even started taking prerequisites, have you? I would recommend waiting and taking the time to really get yourself prepared. Contact various programs (even ones you would not actually consider going to) and find out what they'd want to see in an application from a career-changer. Do you need to have any relevant experience? If so, what kind, and how could you get it? You need to know what a really strong application would include. While yours may be missing some elements, at least you would then have a way to judge how you stack up. I applied to programs knowing I had some deficiencies, and ready to reapply if need be, but things worked out. So, you don't necessarily have to be perfect, but it helps to know where your weaknesses are. And what your strengths are.

Pre-req's for a MS in Biostats you need at least single variable, multivariable calculus, and linear algebra. This usually takes 3 semesters. I am not as familiar with bio programs but the sciences are less important to take as an undergrad, though educationally they are helpful.

To continue for a phd many programs (most) require the undergrad sequence in real analysis. Take as much linear algebra and real analysis as you can. You need to score high on the gre quant section in particular 750+.

A PhD or MS in statistics can do what a PhD in Biostats does but the other way is more difficult.

Of your options taking the pre-req's in fall,spring, and summer seems possible and I would apply to Suny's MS in statistics program. But that is just my opinion others with more knowledge in Biostats may be more helpful. An intro to programming course would be helpful too.

Hi, I am in a similar situation (started since last year).

In the past year, I've taken courses in Calculus, Linear Algebra and Statistics, and I will prepare my application for entry this year. I believe you shouldn't take the biols and chems because they have close to zero impact to your application (at least here in Canada).

I think the admissions people would be more concerned about the math courses. So yeah, like emmm and hedgie said, taking the right pre-reqs are important.

I understand 100% that its not easy to go back to school after working for so long. It's tough but I really hope you get admission somewhere. Good luck!

Good luck to you! I have to agree with hedgie. Linear algebra and real analysis (measure theory) are part of the fundamentals for a strong statistical background. You don't have to worry much about Chem and Bio because in a biostats program, you'll be taking courses on clinical studies and trials which will have you covered.

The stats dept. is also seeking for students who has background in statistical analysis/programming. A lot of professors would recommend SAS (especially this program... most sought after... And if you have SAS certification, employers will favor you) and C++ or MATLAB.