Should professors give a reason for my low GPA on the reco letters they write for me?

nik90

I am planning to apply to graduate school for computer science and have a fairly low CGPA which is as a result of certain questionable choices I made in terms of my non-technical course selections in freshman and sophomore year. I am currently compiling a LOR draft for one of my professors and wanted to know if I should include in it a paragraph about why my CGPA is low so that he might include it in his LOR to the department? Meaning is it a good idea for professors to bring low CGPA up in an LOR?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

You could just mention your high major/technical GPA... or comment about "excellent performance in all technical classes, constantly improving, always striving to learn more..." or some such wording

I am not sure that coming from a professor, the reasons you give for a low GPA will sound very credible. Unless the professor has personally observed your "bad choices", or if one of your poor grades were in his class (and there were a good reason that your grade does not reflect your true ability) then it seems a little odd for a professor to address this.

It's probably something you should deal with in your SOP if the grades are so poor as to warrant being addressed at all.

If this a professor who has direct knowledge of these classes you took - for example, if they were your supervisor/advisor or had some role in which they helped you choose classes - then you should have them write about it. If they have no first-hand knowledge, it may be more difficult for them to explain your choices. However, if you can get some authoritative figure do it, that would be helpful. If you address this in your SOP, keep it short and simple. Don't dwell on it; just state the facts and move on.