Is it possible to make a application for master of economics or Ph.d?

zhangruohao

Want to get In TOP 50....Economics.....is it possible? I've got GRE scores V 148, Q 166, AW 3, with IELTS 6.5, GPA 2.9+,maybe around 3.0.....GPA is impossible to improve.....Do I need to retake GRE or IELSE or TOEFL or something else? Who can help me ....

:huh: range 30-40 i guess is safe and 20-30 mod.safe

your verbal is a bit down, and AWA doesn't help recover

nevertheless you need to show math courses at ugrad and grad level (expecially for Europeans) - real analysis, calculus 1,2,3, stats, some intro into econometrics can help, differential analysis

some research projects - at school or published papers in magazines

start earlier and finish by nov.2012

If i were you i wouldn't retake GRE. You hit 800 - that's it, they need this for econ PhD

my fight is ahead: Thursday, Aug 09 is my day of intrusion :wub:

Retaking the GRE won't help much as your quant score is good enough and your verbal while low, would not otherwise keep you out - but improving it is not likely to move the needle much. Your GRE scores are not the problem -- your low GPA is. And that may be tough to explain away. A 2.9 is going to create some concern.

Retaking the GRE won't help much as your quant score is good enough and your verbal while low, would not otherwise keep you out - but improving it is not likely to move the needle much. Your GRE scores are not the problem -- your low GPA is. And that may be tough to explain away. A 2.9 is going to create some concern.

so is that mean i have no chance? i hear that many US schools will keep the students whoes gpa is below 3 out by the first process as something like computer filter .... is that ture? so what is the enough gpa? if my gpa is 3.0 is that enough? by the way ..i dont specialize in economics but in something like CS...but i dont like it thats why my gpa is low...isthat reason strong enough?

:huh: range 30-40 i guess is safe and 20-30 mod.safe

your verbal is a bit down, and AWA doesn't help recover

nevertheless you need to show math courses at ugrad and grad level (expecially for Europeans) - real analysis, calculus 1,2,3, stats, some intro into econometrics can help, differential analysis

some research projects - at school or published papers in magazines

start earlier and finish by nov.2012

If i were you i wouldn't retake GRE. You hit 800 - that's it, they need this for econ PhD

my fight is ahead: Thursday, Aug 09 is my day of intrusion :wub:

alright thanks a lot and good luck~~~~ :)

so is that mean i have no chance? i hear that many US schools will keep the students whoes gpa is below 3 out by the first process as something like computer filter .... is that ture? so what is the enough gpa? if my gpa is 3.0 is that enough? by the way ..i dont specialize in economics but in something like CS...but i dont like it thats why my gpa is low...isthat reason strong enough?

No - that's reason is not a good reason. They may feel like any time you don't like something you will not put forth the effort. I cannot say that there is a hard GPA "cutoff" at any school let alone at 50 different schools. But generally 3.0 is considered the bare minimum. I am not sure if you are considering a PhD program or Masters program and that makes a difference as well.

No - that's reason is not a good reason. They may feel like any time you don't like something you will not put forth the effort. I cannot say that there is a hard GPA "cutoff" at any school let alone at 50 different schools. But generally 3.0 is considered the bare minimum. I am not sure if you are considering a PhD program or Masters program and that makes a difference as well.

Firstly thanks a lot for your information TheFez. i have some further questions that need your help.........

so from MA and PHD which one has a lower requirement for GPA? if i could raise it to 3.00 then it will be much safer right? and i minor in economics and have a special transcipt about the core courses in that, which GPA is about 3.16....if i failed to raise my total gpa, is that have any helpful effect? and i'm an international student..is there any....something like "discrimination".... or different standard?

So - a PhD in economics requires a very strong mathematical background. Not necessarily a strong economics background (though it doesn't hurt).

You will need to be in the 90th percentile in the GRE quant exam for top programs, and have done well in 3 semesters of calc, linear algebra, and real analysis.

Most good masters programs require at least a 3.0 GPA and some a good deal more. But a PhD program would want to see a 3.5 GPA minimum and many applicants have done graduate work as well.

Of course there is a wide range of programs so there are exceptions to all of this.

• 4 weeks later...

My post might come too late but I am applying for a PhD in Econ too and I am also an international candidate, so here is what I know about the process.

1. Most schools have a GPA cut off. If they do they state it on their website. Some have cut off of 3.00, some have a cut off of 3.00 during the last 2 years, etc. As long as you meet the cut off they are going to review your application.

2. Those cut offs are for US graduates ONLY. If you graduated in Asia or Europe, those cut offs do not apply.

3. They will measure your potential with the pool of applicants they have had from your country, and/or university. If they have been accepting people from your uni with your GPA and they were successful at the program, then you have a pretty nice shot.

Having said that, look at a MSc program. It will give you the chance to show the adcoms you like economics, and that you can have a good GPA. If you obtain a master with nice GPA, then your low undergrad GPA wont matter.

Hope this helps.