Reading to improve GRE Verbal + AW

D.Mihaylov

Hi all, I intend to take the GRE soon, but possibly in April since I want to prepare well for the test. I have started learning vocab from a few lists, and this is going slowly but surely. I was wondering what reading you would suggest for actually training for the Reading questions and possibly something which would help me do better in essays. I have done my undergrad in the UK and know English well, but I am away from those words ETS wants me to know for the GRE test. Many thanks for any suggestions and good luck to anyone with exams and applications.

As I said in a previous thread, learning your Greek and Latin prefixes and suffixes will help you immensely... it can improve your vocabulary exponentially, just by allowing you to figure out what half of a word is will allow you to make educated guesses on over half of the words you encounter. Gruber bears this out in their help section on prefixes and suffixes.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the fact that many suggest reading relatively short articles, I would say reading the voluminous books helps me more. While reading thick book you are more engaged, and better understand the context and thus can infer the meaning of new words. An author usually repeats even rare words, and by the end of the book you are usually acknowledged with his vocabulary. I found an abundance of GRE words in Dennett, Russel, Bronte, Dickens, and so forth. The only secret of the useful reading is the interesting reading. Also, I found helpful the recommendation of Magoosh to force oneself out of the field of comfort, if you are interested in biology and had been reading lots on this subject, try to switch and start to read about politics and vice versa.