Profile and Program Selectivity Question

joseclar

Hello,

I am in a non traditional situation. I graduated in 2007 with a degree in econ from a average school. I decided late that I wanted to pursue a phd. As such my only math courses are calc 1-2 and prob and stats. I started as a non matriculated the following semester to finish a minor in math. I took a job offer due to financial reasons as opposed to finishing the courses. In my job (algorithmic currencies trader) I developed my own algorithms and did a significant amount of self study in linear algebra, upper level statistical topics and other computing fields.

That said, can you provide a list of least selective schools that would consider taking someone with a non traditional background or a few missing courses, though I think I have more than adequate prep in the subjects.

Also are there any top 30-60 programs that are known for being more flexible in regards to candidates.

Ideally, I would like a north eastern, or california program. However any location suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Most PhD programs in econ want to see good grades in regular coursework in:

3 semesters of calculus (through multivariate), linear algebra, stats, and real analysis (a big plus). Dif eqs. is a bonus.

Non-traditional econ programs (such as AG-econ, AED-econ, environmental econ) sometimes have more relaxed math requirements.

How is your Math GRE score?