Joint Degree Programs

amlobo

I am thinking of applying to Princeton's and Harvard's joint degree programs in Sociology and Social Policy instead of applying to their "regular" Sociology programs. Does anyone have any first-hand information on applying to these joint programs?

I am mostly wondering if I am lowering my chances of admission by applying to the joint programs. My interests relate mainly to inequality and education, and I feel like the joint programs are a better "fit" for my interests. In that vein, maybe my chances of admission are better on the joint degree programs since they are a better fit. But, who knows? There are no admissions/applications statistics on the joint programs that I can find, other than results on GradCafe.

I kind of feel that if I am more interested in the joint programs, I should apply to them even if they are more competitive (which, as I said... I don't know if they are). But, I keep going back and forth. FYI - for all other schools, I'm applying to Sociology only. I was just interested in these particular joint degree programs. Any input is appreciated!

hey fellow soc of ed people! I've heard positive things about sociology/social policy dual degree programs. With other dual degrees not so much. I've heard with PhD/J.D. programs you get pressure from both schools to just focus on their side. But I also know Penn State does pretty well with their dual degree programs. You really have to do your homework on the program but I think sociology/social policy programs are pretty good that way

I thought you might chime in! It seems like education is a main focus for these programs, which is what drew me to them. They look like great programs, but of course I am just stressing all the details at this point!

After completing a JD, I cannot imagine that a JD/PhD program would be an enjoyable experience... yikes.