Should I have started reading?

futurelcsw

A friend of mine recently graduated law school and she told me that if you haven't started reading before the semester begins, then you are already way behind. Is this true? Has anyone started reading? Is the MSW academic workload that much more than undergrad?

If your social work program doesn't require summer reading, then I don't think you will fall behind in your courses.

All incoming MSW students take foundation courses in human behavior and the social environment, research methods, social work practice (micro vs. macro), social welfare policy and services, and field instruction. By the end of your first year, you will be prepared for advanced-level training in your concentration.

I have been wondering this same thing...! I'm also starting my foundation year MSW in 2 weeks! Best of luck to you :)

I think that michigan girl has it right overall, plus if your course outlines/syllabi have not yet been made available online, it is pretty hard to know what you should start reading. That is the case for me, anyway. That being said, I have already been a keener and started looking at previous years' and profs' recommended and required course texts and scouting out cheap prices online/seeing if they are available at my local or university library so this poor student can beat the rush!

I do have a related question, though: As a non-BSW student (and without a counselling or psych major - I was an int'l development student), I am wondering if anybody has recommendations for foundational reading on human psychology/sociology that you think would make for good prep before courses start in 2 weeks. THANKS!

If your social work program doesn't require summer reading, then I don't think you will fall behind in your courses.

All incoming MSW students take foundation courses in human behavior and the social environment, research methods, social work practice (micro vs. macro), social welfare policy and services, and field instruction. By the end of your first year, you will be prepared for advanced-level training in your concentration.

Oh, ok. That is good news. I know that the MSW program is nowhere near as rigorous as law school, I was just curious about what to expect. Most of my professors have not made the syllabi available yet so I think I am good.

I have been wondering this same thing...! I'm also starting my foundation year MSW in 2 weeks! Best of luck to you :)

I think that michigan girl has it right overall, plus if your course outlines/syllabi have not yet been made available online, it is pretty hard to know what you should start reading. That is the case for me, anyway. That being said, I have already been a keener and started looking at previous years' and profs' recommended and required course texts and scouting out cheap prices online/seeing if they are available at my local or university library so this poor student can beat the rush!

I do have a related question, though: As a non-BSW student (and without a counselling or psych major - I was an int'l development student), I am wondering if anybody has recommendations for foundational reading on human psychology/sociology that you think would make for good prep before courses start in 2 weeks. THANKS!

I wouldn't worry about catching up social work.psychology-wise. I don't think they would admit non-BSW or Psych majors if they didn't think they could be up-to-speed quickly.

As far as recommended texts, I didn't buy any of them. I'm kind of rethinking that, but how can I be held accountable for texts that were not required? I'm thinking it is simply supplemental material to aid in understanding. (I hope. I really don't want to spend anymore on textbooks this semester.)