What are my chances of getting in Clinical Psych PhD program

jpgu222

What do you think my chances of getting into a clinical psychology phd program are? I have an overall gpa of 3.5, psych gpa of 3.8, and a junior senior gpa of 3.8. I have been a research assistant for three professors and I am currently working at the campus psychological services center. My GRE scores are low, a 148 in Quantitative and a 155 in Verbal with an analytical writing score of 5.5. I really would like to get in a clinical program, but I'm so nervous my GRE scores and overall gpa are too low. Should I retake the GRE? Overall what do you think my chances of getting in a clinical phd program are?

You certainly would be able to get into *a* clinical program, but beyond that, I don't think anyone can say without knowing where you're applying to.

• 1 year later...

I won't worry about retaking it until you chose which school you are applying to. The GRE is not as important as your research experience. Many schools don't have a cut-off. Decide on schools first, then worry about the GRE. You scores aren't that bad. I personally think they use the GRE to weed out applicants and thats about it. 

Clinical programs are usually funded - not a scholarship, but a tuition waiver plus a stipend for being either an RA or a GA. Remember that you do not apply to a particular program, as such, it's the professor at the program, whose research interests align with what you want to do. So, I happen to be at the university I'm at because this place employs the specific PI I'm working with; if he were somewhere else, I would be, too. You can probably overcome that GRE score with a really spot-on SOP.

I'd recommend taking 2 years off to work full-time in research; as I understand it, it's all-but-required for top programs these days (though there are exceptions, as always). But as others said, it's hard to say what your chances are without knowing which specific programs you want to apply to.  And fit is always the most important thing.  If your research in UG is directly related to that of your POIs, and esp if your UG PIs know your POIs personally and can vouch for you to them (networking!) then I'd say your chances are good.