Astrophysics undergraduate major, IR grad school?

Hello all,

I received a degree in Astrophysics with a minor in Economics and a language citation in Japanese from a Top Ivy, and since graduation I have spent time in overseas international development work and now want to apply for IR grad school. Will majoring in Astrophysics be a serious disadvantage on my application if I have a qualifying GPA and GRE, as well as substantial research and academic performance in undergraduate government and economics classes? Additionally, I had significant leadership positions in international relations groups on campus.

New to the forum, but would greatly appreciate any insight!

Are you interested in staying with a science focus? Because GWU Elliott has an MA in International Science and Technology Policy.

But otherwise I would not think that it would be a big disadvantage as long as you have a good personal statement on why you want to get into IR. That's just my guess though.

Hello all,

I received a degree in Astrophysics with a minor in Economics and a language citation in Japanese from a Top Ivy, and since graduation I have spent time in overseas international development work and now want to apply for IR grad school. Will majoring in Astrophysics be a serious disadvantage on my application if I have a qualifying GPA and GRE, as well as substantial research and academic performance in undergraduate government and economics classes? Additionally, I had significant leadership positions in international relations groups on campus.

New to the forum, but would greatly appreciate any insight!

I know where you're coming from. I majored in astrophysics as well as an undergrad, and it didn't hurt me when I applied for grad school. The trick is to take what you think is a weakness and turn it into a strength by explaining your desire to change subjects. I spent five years in the military, much of it in Germany and other less fun parts of the world, and sold that on my application as international experience. I also used my statement of purpose as a place to explain my "change of passion," so to speak.

Bottom line, your undergrad major won't hurt you since you've done other stuff since graduation. Good luck!