Reapplying

Leahlearns

I'm just curious to hear what people who were rejected the first time around and reapplied this year have done in the interim. What have you been up to? Have you found it worthwhile/useful/enjoyable? Any advice for those of us who may be in that position this upcoming year? Of course, economic conditions now may make for a slightly different game...

I don't know whether that will be me or not. I still have a few schools I'm waiting to hear from, but I feel like I should be thinking about it so that if I do get rejected everywhere I don't go into a tailspin (which may happen regardless of my efforts). Meanwhile, during all this endless waiting my thoughts about Plan B have been changing/evolving quite a bit.

I was in that boat last year, I took more classes through the university's extension, volunteered for a agency relevant to my field and attended what conferences I could. Keep as many irons in the fire as possible and keep your head up!

I took learn-to-read language courses, since languages were the main weakness of my app. I also submitted--and was accepted to present--papers for the two major conferences in my field. I researched and applied to many more programs, and made sure I emailed professors at every program I applied to. Meanwhile, I worked freelance.